• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve cover gasket question

UP906XJ

NAXJA Forum User
A buddy of mine had an extra valve cover gasket laying around for the 96 XJ he no longer owns, so he gave it to me.

Part number VS 50458 R

Will this work on my 89 XJ, or should I just throw it on the shelf and get the proper one?

That looks like the one for the stamped valve cover. I swapped it on my 92. It works, and I like it better than the cork garbage, but there is no locating dowels on the head for the gasket, so you have to make sure it's centered.

A buddy of mine had an extra valve cover gasket laying around for the 96 XJ he no longer owns, so he gave it to me.

Part number VS 50458 R

Will this work on my 89 XJ, or should I just throw it on the shelf and get the proper one?

While it "might" fit ,it's not the proper one!

That looks like the one for the stamped valve cover. I swapped it on my 92. It works, and I like it better than the cork garbage, but there is no locating dowels on the head for the gasket, so you have to make sure it's centered.

In 50yrs I have yet to see a head "doweled" for a VC gasket!

In 50yrs I have yet to see a head "doweled" for a VC gasket!

I think he is referring to the studs and not dowels,...my 1996 4.0L have studs.

Make sure to keep your metal inserts from the old grommets. And use them with your new ones. I have yet to see vc sets that have them

Same here. They look better too.
thumbs.gif

rd9sz9S.jpg

agreed ^
get the felpro blue. ive used felpro permadry gaskets anywhere I can on my XJ and have never had one leak. with that said, prep makes a big difference too

Are they single use? I'm pretty sure that's what I have on there now after my mechanic replaced it for a VC leak. Would love to be able to get in there without replacing it but not at the expense of a new leak.

Back