• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold

SPSERG

NAXJA Forum User
I am posting to modified to stay on the safe side, but it may be applicable to OEM as well. I was doing some work to my 1999 XJ today, and came across an issue. I have spent a solid year getting the Jeep to my standard and essentially gutted the entire drivetrain and have done just about everything to it so its 100% reliable and can get me to work no matter what the weather situation. That being said, I had the hood open and the way the sunlight hit the exhaust manifold, the crack was evident. I'm interested in suggestions for a new header: Banks stainless, Dorman, Omix etc. etc. I only want to do the job once and I want it to be as close to perfect as possible. I would appreciate honest feedback.

I really am impressed with the Banks Revolver header that I bought for my 2k!

It fit great with the exception of the heat shield on my motor mount, I had to "massage" it (the mount) with a hammer!
P1080517_zpskkoyfih8.jpg

I've got Fed emissions so no pre-cats! If you have to deal with pre-cats, Banks has another header just for that!

Does anyone know if the Banks XJ headers come with a Carb EO# and sticker? I tried the Banks website but could not find the info. Thanks.

Does anyone know if the Banks XJ headers come with a Carb EO# and sticker? I tried the Banks website but could not find the info. Thanks.
Both my 2001 and 1997 XJs have Banks headers, with the CARB authorization stickers stored in the glove box.
My 2001 always requires going to a "Test Only" smog station.
Never had an smog inspection where I was asked it the headers were legal. Odds are no inspector would ever notice them anyway, they are not very visible.

I'm reasonably happy with the Gibson 400S-C on my 94 with the 99+ intake.
No fitment issues with the intake but the header outlet seems to be pointing toward the oil pan more than the stock header did, but I'm also using a Walker crossover pipe (stupid me for replacing the oem) so I'm not sure which one to blame. Cut and spliced the Walker into something I'm happy with.

Anyone using an exhaust shop? (I'm looking for a good one in LA area)

On Cracker's recommendation, I used Mike's Mufflers in El Monte when I needed some work done. I know other members have used Mike's as well. I needed some pretty simple repairs done and they did a competent job for me at a reasonable price.

I too am a big fan of the Banks Revolver header. We ran one for 5 years of racing and with all of the abuse we put it through, no cranks or leaks.

I tried the cheap knock off everyone (used to?) recommends and had it crack twice and their warranty is a joke to deal with from my experience.

Went with Banks from an authorized dealer(my post is somewhere about getting it first from amazon and having issues) and 100% happy with it. Worth the extra up front cost to me.

On Cracker's recommendation, I used Mike's Mufflers in El Monte when I needed some work done. I know other members have used Mike's as well. I needed some pretty simple repairs done and they did a competent job for me at a reasonable price.

I would second the recommendation on Mike's Muffler. 12222 Garvey Ave. They've done my exhaust twice, after modifications. I will tell you they do very decent work, worked with me to get it how I wanted it, and the whole job was hand built from scratch.

Besides, there's a really good Mexican restaurant about 4 blocks south on Durfee Ave.

David Bricker / SYR

Weasel,

You had your Banks header(s) ceramic coated / and Banks honored the warranty?!
(I would think they wouldn't, bec it had been modified.)

Anyone see the Banks TJ turbo kit?

Back