• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Swap / RADesigns

SBpunk

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any experience with the RADesigns setup coming from a AX15? Wanting to swap out my AX15 for an AW4 and don't have the room for a parts vehicle. Wondering with the RAD setup if there's any other parts I'll need aside from the transmission to keep everything working proper? Thanks

Forgot to mention its just a daily driver with some hunting trail use. Not trying to crawl, blast through sand or do anything crazy with it.

Hello,
RADesigns Products LLC has been building shift controllers and shifters since 2008 and sells them world wide to off road enthusiasts.
A couple guys have gotten the trans to shift full auto after a manual to auto swap. Most don't try. I have never done it as I run full manual control on my auto.
The shift controller wires directly to the trans harness so really just connect and control the 1-4 shifting. You still need some kind of floor shifter, most use the stock XJ unit, they are cheap and easy to find.
Make sure your t-case has the right spline count to bolt to the AW4, there are 2 different splines. Most of that info can be found on this forum.
There really isn't much traffic here for my products but with selling hundreds a year someone should be talking about them somewhere. You can always email me, call or message. I answer all questions. There is a RADesigns Products FB page too that I get contacted through. Pirate4x4 is my No. 1 referral site by a huge margin and has been for years.

Hello,
RADesigns Products LLC has been building shift controllers and shifters since 2008 and sells them world wide to off road enthusiasts.
A couple guys have gotten the trans to shift full auto after a manual to auto swap. Most don't try. I have never done it as I run full manual control on my auto.
The shift controller wires directly to the trans harness so really just connect and control the 1-4 shifting. You still need some kind of floor shifter, most use the stock XJ unit, they are cheap and easy to find.
Make sure your t-case has the right spline count to bolt to the AW4, there are 2 different splines. Most of that info can be found on this forum.
There really isn't much traffic here for my products but with selling hundreds a year someone should be talking about them somewhere. You can always email me, call or message. I answer all questions. There is a RADesigns Products FB page too that I get contacted through. Pirate4x4 is my No. 1 referral site by a huge margin and has been for years.

I appreciate it. Was hoping for an easy fix not having to gather parts or an entire vehicle but might be out of luck. I'll do some research over at Pirate.

A couple of guys?

its super easy. The aw4 has a stand alone harness. You only have to plug like 4 wires or some such into the car. I've done it three times myself, and I suck at wrenching.

A couple of guys?

its super easy. The aw4 has a stand alone harness. You only have to plug like 4 wires or some such into the car. I've done it three times myself, and I suck at wrenching.

So share a write up on it or share a link with the information. Lots of guys ask about it, I've never even tried since I haven't done a manual to auto swap in a Jeep. Be good info for the AW4 Tech thread. Make sure to include all the variables, like VSS signals, Renix, OBD, OBDII, whatever else might throw a monkey wrench into it.

When things slow down at work I'll break out the FSM and do a quick diagram, a writeup will have to wait until the next time I do it so I can take some pictures.

But if you grab the harness that runs between the TCU and Trans, it only attaches a few places.

Power (battery)
Power (ignition)
Ground (chassis)
Brake switch (otherwise torque converter won't lock up - it is its own switch, above the brake light switch, at the top fo the pedal, white and adjustable
The harness already has the wiring for this, you just have to get the switch and install/adjust it.
TPS signal (in, out, and sensor ground). On HO you tap into existing wiring, on renix you change the TPS and the harness already has a plug for it.

Last edited:
If you search for 'aw4 TJ swap' on google you will find dozens of people who have done it with excellent writeups. Its more or less the exact same into a manual trans XJ, other than having to find the source for correct wires listed above. OBD1, OBD2, 98+ etc doesn't really make any difference, as long as you get the appropriate harness and TCU, as that will all be wrapped up together.

One thing to keep in mind, if you use a TCU for 95+ it has the programming to shift 2 gears at once, where 94 and older will only step one at a time.

So if you're cruising at 40 in 4th and punch it, it will either shift to 3rd and accelerate slowly, or shift 4-3-2 and then take off after a jerky delay.

Going 95+ it will shift 4-2, or the opposite (let off the gas and go 2-4) without stepping through gears in between.

If you want to use a 91+ TCU in a renix rig, you'll have to provide sensor ground and input power to the TPS as the TCU won't have that in the harness. You just tap those from the engine side of the TPS.

Maybe I will have to do a writeup on this, but thats more or less exhaustive right there.

Back