• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fiberglass painting

Tankerblade

NAXJA Forum User
So got a 01. Had the header panel replaced years ago but no paint on it so the fiberglass is flaking in a way.

What's the best way to go about salvaging this piece.
ccce8c61dd4ca0a7e53105e58a748c87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whoops didn't realize there was a paint and bodywork section, would a mod be willing to move this to the correct section?

Sand it the best you can w/ 1500 and then use "spot/glazing putty" to fill any perfections. You definitely need to at least prime it. I just went thru this!
20180304_122917_zpsjmeo75ds.jpg

If there are lots of loose threads or fibers, I would look for a better condition header which will produce a better quality finished product with less time/effort in the prep and less materials cost.

If you are set on using that weathered part, you should use a boat or automotive paint system for fiberglass. Prime to seal the fibers, spot putty and sand for a smooth finish, prime again, and finish with the color coat and clear coat.

Can't really see anything in your pic, but it's got fibers coming thru I also would say a new one! You could possibly look into a new resin coat but as Tim was saying the time/money won't be cheap either.

The answer really depends on what kind of person you are -- judging by the original post, you say it's been years with the unpainted header panel

This says that you are not the type of person who needs to see his reflection in the paint

I say -- sand it, then contact magnet paints and ask what primer works best under monstaliner on raw fiberglass -- monstaliner is the way I'd go -- I was never a shiny kind of person

The monstaliner will hide all the little imperfections

I appreciate the feedback everyone. Yea there's fiber exposed. Touch it and it's like touching fiberglass insulation. Get the itches.

Seems like trying to salvage this piece is more trouble then it's worth. Figured I'd ask and see since I know absolutely nothing about fiberglass and hoping there was a cheap and easy way like rattle can or something ha.

And yea I'm not a shiney person. I originally replaced the header back in 2012 with the intention to paint, but sold it to my sister shortly thereafter. Just managed to buy it back so figuring out a game plan of sorts

RCP, nice job on the paint!

Same color as my pile. Once I get a new header, glass fenders and rear hatch i need to get everything painted. How much did it all cost you for you to do the paint? Material and time wise?

Back