• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Monstaliner on Headliner?

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used monstaliner on their headliner? Pictures? Links to threads? Not much coming up on search

I'm thinking of doing this but would really like to see some pictures, hear about how it holds up, sticks to the headliner insert

Thanks, Jer

Headliner inserts are flimsy. I would worry about it being able to handle the extra weight.

Old Man, I saw you've done a few -- I was thinking monstaliner would be easier than cloth

Have you ever done a write up on how to properly refinish a headliner -- Ever seen a write up you liked about the headliner replacement?

Any way to strengthen the headliner insert? Is it only attached on the edges, held by the plastic trim?

Can some sort of insulation, sound deadening be installed above the headliner?

Jer

When I did mine on my mustang, I used a small stiff bristle kitchen brush to remove all the old foam and glue from the board after I peeled the old cloth off. Once clean, liberally coat it with spray headliner adhesive. I would think you would need 2 cans. Then I layed the new cloth out and used a small paint roller to press the cloth down and work out any wrinkles. It really wasn't too hard but take your time and it'll come out nice.

The headliner "board" in mine are very much like rockwool. It easily compresses, folds and tears. The dome lights and/or overhead console helps support it along the middle. The board is strong enough to support a layer of bedliner. I'd have more concerns about how well will it adhere to the rockwool and will it separate. The riskiest part of the whole endeavor is when the trim is out and it's just held on by relatively small clips. A second or third set of hands really helps.

I put bubble insulation above mine in addition to a few sq ft of "dynamat". The insulation made a noticeable difference with the headliner out but I have no way to do a A-B comparison with it in.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-100-sq-ft-Reflective-Roll-Insulation-48-in-W-x-25-ft-L/3011906

The roof crossmembers had come unglued from the roof panel so I used 3M NVH foam to glue them back together. 1 tube for each of the two crossmembers was just a little too much, aka perfect. The rear one had 3/16" gap across most of the span. You can tell by banging on your roof. It should be solid about 8" behind the B and C pillars.

http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...ampening-Material?N=5002385+3293194066&rt=rud

Old Man, I saw you've done a few -- I was thinking monstaliner would be easier than cloth

Have you ever done a write up on how to properly refinish a headliner -- Ever seen a write up you liked about the headliner replacement?

Any way to strengthen the headliner insert? Is it only attached on the edges, held by the plastic trim?

Can some sort of insulation, sound deadening be installed above the headliner?

Jer
I have done it a few times. I like finding a good used one the best and then recovering it. It is a loosely pressed fiberglass. I have coated the cleaned liner with fiberglass resin and it worked OK. I have also thought of spraying it with automotive paint to reinforce it. Once dry I recovered it with the foam backed headliner fabric.

Luckily we have enough guys here in Colorado that I have always been able to score a good used one.

Right now I happen to have 2 headliners -- Just bought a 97 parts XJ -- headliner is good, except for the sound bar -- It's really dirty though -- I'm sure a serious cleaning will destroy it

Guess I'll pull my 2000 and decide where to go from there -- I have to take a ride to the fabric store too -- have a Fabric land nearby -- Joann's is a farther but an option if they have decent stuff

Back