• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

something weird happened today

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
went out in the jeep today, had to go to the local hardware store , doing about 80kmph

and hit some road repairs, next you know the front end is shuddering and hammering like i was driving to fast on bad washboard surface.

i quickly braked pulled over and stopped.

had a look nothing broken, so decided to take the jeep home and take my other car.

any way later i drove over the same strip but couldn't replicate, got under the car and everything looks ok.

now the car is a 1994 xj limited with 31 inch tyres on 8 inch rims with 3.75 back spacing, the front and rear diffs were changed out a few years ago for ones with 4.10 gears, the rear is a Cry.8.25, so the ABS doesn't work. i thought i had pulled the fuse but i hadn't, i did pull the warning bulb on the dash.

so I'm wondering if maybe the ABS for what ever reason decided to kick in

today i pulled the two fuses and the two relays for the ABS ( ABS Pump and ABS System) took it for another long drive over average road conditions and all seems ok

the only other thing is i presently have the front prop shaft out redoing the uni joints.

oh also has a two inch lift

i have owned this car for almost 20 years and this is the first time I've experienced anything like this, the car in mechanically in very good condition.

any thoughts???

thanks for reading

Ewen

Was the steering jerking around or was it more of a brake problem? Kinda sounds like you have a bad tie rod end or track bar in the front end. Have someone turn the wheel side to side while you watch all the steering and track bar ends to see if there is any movement in them.

Sometimes the track bar bolt on the axle loosens up. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and check both mounting places of the track bar. It may just need the bolts tightened up.

When I bought my then mildly lifted '99 XJ almost a decade ago I experienced the same thing three times. Very scary at high speed. Then I switched from lead weights to Airsoft pellets for tire (tyre to you) balance when I bought some new rims and it never happened again. So, consider improper tire balance as one possible culprit.

Back