• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking Oil

alexgalexg

NAXJA Forum User
I change my oil every 4k and it literally saved my truck this time... So before each oil change I get under my truck and grease the joints if they need any. Today while greasing I noticed oil all over my brand new starter. I checked my oil level and found that I was running on ONE FOURTH of the required oil... For now I have just replenished the engine with an appropriate amount of its usual castrol edge. I know the little arm that holds the oil filter is a weak point on the 4.0 but would that massive leak more likely be a bad filter seal or the arm? Also, why would a leak that large not leave any noticeable spots on the driveway?

My guess is bad oil filter adapter O-rings and/or bad distributor/oil pressure sensor seals. Really, there's a lot of crap that can leak on the passenger side of a 4.0. Could even be a valve cover gasket (doesn't see oil pressure with engine off, residual oil from the leak is stopped from hitting the ground by the rest of the crap on the passenger side.) So check all of it. Use the "forward and up" rule, worst case scenario, cleaning all the old crap off real good and dumping in some UV dye works wonders.

make sure you don't have 2 oil filter gaskets on it. the old one might have gotten stuck on the engine side and you put the new oil filter over it. i somehow did it once.

Thanks all, since this engine has been in the truck for less than a year its fairly clean and should not be hard to track down this leak properly today

Back