• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO- Alpine Tunnel

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
The Alpine Tunnel trail is not only very scenic to drive, but is also very interesting as it takes you to the Alpine Tunnel and the Alpine Tunnel Station which contains a number of structures that are still standing. This trail takes off from the Cumberland Pass Road, however it is also accessed from the Hancock Pass trail which intersects it near the middle by the Sherrod Loop. Coming from Cumberland Pass you will pass the Tunnel Gulch water tank which was restored by the Mile High Jeep Club.

On your way to the end of the trail you will also drive across a section of shelf road called The Palisades. This section was built from hand cut stones without any mortar. It’s amazing that they have lasted this long without any serious damage! When you reach the parking area, it is just a short hike to the Alpine Tunnel Station.

The Alpine Tunnel was built by the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad in 1881 at an elevation of 11,600 feet. The total length of the tunnel is 1,800 feet and it goes right through the Continental Divide. The tunnel was in operation until 1910 when it caved in. It was never reopened after that. The entrance to the tunnel is closed off by a rock slide.

When you make it to the Alpine Station, make sure you go inside, sign the log book and check out the restored building. There are also a number of other structures still partially standing in the area worth checking out including the stone engine house and the wooden turntable.

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

IMG_4991.JPG

Attachments

• Alpine_Tunnel.gpx
    29.2 KB · Views: 5
We just got back from CO and I ran that trail for the first time. We split off and went up hancock. I wish I had went to the top, but the group I was with had other plans. I'm in the process of getting pics posted to my website. I'll post a link when I get it done.

Back