• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO- Black Bear Pass

IntrepidXJ

NAXJA Member #647
Black Bear Pass is a well known trail that seems to be on every four-wheelers list of places to go. It has a reputation of being pretty scary on it's descent into Telluride, however in my opinion it did not live up to that reputation. While there is one or two places that look a little sketchy, they didn't bother me one bit when I drove through. However, the great scenery and views along this trail do live up to it's reputation. I highly recommend driving this trail if you get the chance!

The trail starts out near Red Mountain Pass on US 550 and takes off up Mineral Basin. This basin offers some great scenery including wildflowers and a few small waterfalls. Eventually you climb up to Black Bear Pass at an elevation of 12,840 feet. From that point you head down into Ingram Basin and follow some shelf roads where you will pass Ingram Lake and Black Bear Mine. This is the area where you will get your first views of Telluride down below.

When you start the final and steep descent into Telluride, you will have to drive down an area called 'the Steps'. This is a very steep and narrow section of road next to Ingram Creek that looks pretty scary as you approach. However, looks can be deceiving and this section is not as bad as it looks. There still is not much room for error here. Once past the Steps, you will cross Ingram Creek and start down the switchbacks into Telluride. The top three switchbacks are pretty tight, but I was able to navigate them with 3-point turns in my Cherokee. The lower you get, the easier the switchbacks get.

Black Bear Pass makes for a great day of wheeling when combined with Imogene Pass.

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG

Attachments

• Black_Bear_Pass.gpx
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
August 14-15, 2008 trip report

We made this one an overnighter due to the desire to go down the switchbacks first thing in the morning. Camping was not ideal, it was tough to find a level spot for 2 tents but we did.

Some of the hundreds of sheep encountered on the way up
orig.jpg

Red Mountain #3 looking good in the afternoon light
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Heading down the other side
orig.jpg

Sunset over Telluride...
orig.jpg

...moonrise over Black Bear Pass
orig.jpg

Heading down the next morning