• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pressure regulator upgrade with new injectors

kooter

NAXJA Forum User
This all started with a cracked exhaust manifold on my XJ. Since finding this site I now have black steelies with BFG's and trimmed fenders, and I'm getting ready to fix my initial problem with APN headers. But I also HAVE to do the intake manifold swap too right!?!?! :confused1 Since the manifold came with the TB, sensors, fuel rail and injectors, I'm wanting to use them as well but I guess I need to increase my fuel pressure from 39 to 49psi.

I'm going to the junkyard to pick up a p/s pump & bracket for the swap, and wanted to know if I can pull a fuel pump/regulator from a later model that is a direct swap for my 1992. They are located in the gas tank, from what I read. I know Hesco makes one but it's too $$$ pricey for me. And I know that I can just put the newer injectors in the old rail but I would rather just use all the new stuff.

thanks a million

Last edited:
I used the fuel rail for a 1992, stock LT1 injectors, and the fuel pump I used is an aftermarket Holly one for a GT mustang rated for 300HP. It all got installed with a 00 intake onto my 1991 cherokee. You do not have to upgrade to a new fuel system if you do not want to. Get a new set of orings for the injectors though.

internal or external pump? I assume the regulator was built in? what was the psi rating?
did you just cap off the return barb on the fuel rail, or did you still use the return line?

The regulator on the rail is rated at 39 psi, which is why I'm wanting to change it in the first place to work with the 2000 XJ injectors which require 49 psi.

I was thinking of picking one up from the junkyard out of a late model XJ but didn't know if it would fit in the tank of my '92 or not. Anyone know?

The regulator on the later models is on the pump in the tank.My best guess would be to use a pump from a 96,it would fit in the early steel tank,and have the 49 psi internal regulator.
There is no return on the 96 system,probably no return on the 2000 fuel rail either? Better remove or plug the line.

Wayne

ok wait a sec, are you moving and rewiring your mapp sensor as well? cause it is on the firewall of a 92 and the tb of a 00. I realize that you want to use the new injectors and everything, but is it really worth it. I guess you could plug the line and try to run an internally regulated pump, or buy a new regulator from hesco maybe. I want to say my mustang fuel pump pumps at around 50psi, and gets regulated back down.

thanks Wayne....I'll give it a shot and let ya know if it works. Wolf, I was wondering what that was on the new TB....yep, I guess I'm moving the MAPP sensor too! lol btw, none of it 'is really worth it'. I just have to f@#$ with it because that's what I do!! :laugh:

your old throttle body is the same size and will bolt right onto the new manifold. there is really no performance gain to be had with the newer one

Back