• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrade fuel injectors??

XJpoopbrown said:
i was thinking about upgrading my fuel injectors to possibly gain a few more ponies, any suggestions on what brand i should get?

Get the small block Ford units - you can get them off eBay without too much trouble, or go to FiveO Motorsports for a fixed price (which still isn't too bad - search around here to find them.)

However, simply upgrading your injectors won't net significant gains - maybe a couple HP/pound-feet at best.

Bear in mind something - an engine is little more than a large air pump, that generates more power than it needs to be run. That "leftover power" is what drives the vehicle. That power output is directly related to airflow - the more air you can move, the more power you have available. Flowing more fuel alone is useless - unless you can flow more air to burn that fuel with.

This is why strokers can make more power - because they have greater piston displacement - and therefore move more air per crankshaft revolution.

Also, engine power output is tied (to a similar degree) to compression ratio - since strokers typically have higher piston displacement with a relatively unchanged combustion volume, the compression ratio is also somewhat higher. Again - an increase in power.

And, there is still a key factor at work here. Saying "I want more power" is a very open-ended question, and it is therefore difficult to answer. How much more power do you want? What are you planning to use that power for? Do you really need more power - or will more torque output satisfy your needs better?

So, the same advice I give anyone else new to the power-increase arena - what are you trying to do, and what are you trying to do it with? Knowing what you want allows us to help you find a realistic way to achieve that goal - even if it comes down to an engine swap or a vehicle swap entirely!

If you're going to ask an open-ended question like "How can I get more power output," don't expect to get very many useful answers - since we're none of us psychic (I'm psychotic, not psychic!) We really do want to help you, but we need your help to help you better. Close off your question a bit with some more qualifiers, and we can give you a better direction to go.

I agree, I " UPGRADED " to the ford style injectors awhile back and didnt really notice a difference. I mean it ran smoother, but then again, I had a bad renix injector before. Fuel mileage, UH I DUNNO, it is a 34" tire running beast that I only run on trails. I upgraded becouse I got a set of 8 for 45 bux shipped.

Lata

You could go with the ford injectors or just find a 1996 4.0 HO. That one came with 24lb injectors. They can be identified by the uppermost plastic before the plug being grey. All the jeep injectors are color coded, which I just recently found out the hard way, in which the color indicates fuel delivery.
The grey tops are the best.

Back