• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Epoxy Floors

It'll look like hell. I don't think there is a covering out there that can take welding abuse. You can get your floor polished though. I believe that's what I'm going to do.

I use a product called "rocktred" in my shop.

I have laid down literally hundreds of gallons of this stuff.

it is expensive, but there is no other diy product I know of that comes close to it.

I also have it in my garage and basement :D it holds up unbelieveably well.

Becarefull what you use if it's not the right stuff it can be real slippery with just a little dust/dirt on it.

mark

I've used this 2-part epoxy for the last two years and it has held up to oil, water, brake fluid with no problems. I even painted my work bench with it.
I don't know about heat. The only time it peeled was when I ran over a pipe and the metal scraped the paint.

I bought it at home depot.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=59&SBL=1

I have done 2 garages with this stuff:
Pratt & Lambert

it hold up very well. Brake fluid will eventually eat thru it if you leave it set. I do not do allot of welding, but the flux core wirefeed I have done cleans right up. Two gallons worth runs about $120, thats a gallon of each part, two part mix.

HTH

Rev

Rev Den said:
I have done 2 garages with this stuff:
Pratt & Lambert

it hold up very well. Brake fluid will eventually eat thru it if you leave it set. I do not do allot of welding, but the flux core wirefeed I have done cleans right up. Two gallons worth runs about $120, thats a gallon of each part, two part mix.

HTH

Rev

I have the P&L on my garage floor also and it has held up pretty well. The little bit of welding I do doesn't compare to what a lot of you do but most burns and splatter and such just wipe right off. My garage is only 20' x 21' and the two gallons (gallon each part) was enough to cover it with just a bit left for touch-ups to give you an idea of how much you might need.

Do you know what the word practice means? Of course, you just play with all that sissy boy sheetmetal, nothing of substance.

I was looking at making the shop look nice, but I was afraid of the burns from welding & cutting getting to it. We also have heavy jack stands & saw horses that get dragged around over it constantly. I don't want to put out the money if it won't last very long. Hey Wanna B, tell us more about this rock floor. Hey Onetnut, what's the deal with polishing.

Matt

lemme try and remember to take some pics of areas of the shop floor.

farmer, I don't believe there is a coating on the face of the earth that will withstand EVERYTHING, not even tennant or garon coatings, however, if you wanna make the shop look nice, rocktred works.

we've made it a once a year thing to do the ailses in my shop, it makes a HUGE impression when customers come to visit, and it impresses the insurance compnay, and osha too.

Just fer grins and giggles...

http://www.stonhard.com

This is what was used in the electronics factories where I used to work. And my brother uses this stuff in cereal factories, claims that it stands up to high pressure hot water washdowns.

I have no idea how it would stand up to weld spatter, though. I'm pretty sure that it is EXPENSIVE.

Matt, I've applied more Sherwin Williams TileClad Epoxy than I care to think about (10 year of comm. painting.........what was I saying??) and the stuff is awesome for shops, garages, wash bays but all things considered........it's just paint, albeit really tough paint. You apply enough heat and it will discolor, melt, chip or various other bad things. Hard to have it both ways, pretty and heat proof........

Back