• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New LED turn signals come on when brake pressed

PDBreske

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed ten LED lamps in my 99 XJ (front and rear turn signals, brakes, and reverse) and now the turn signal lamps come on with the brake lights. All other functions work as normal; turn signals, parking lights, hazards, reverse.

Has anyone else had this issue when switching to LEDs? How did you fix it?

LED's take very little voltage to illuminate, so even the stray voltage on the taillight ground can sometimes light them up

You may need to install some diodes to prevent the stray voltage from illuminating the LED's

Did you also install an LED compatible turn signal relay? I also installed LEDs in all exterior lighting. I did not have the same issue as you, but they did flash really fast until I installed the proper relay.

Did you also install an LED compatible turn signal relay? I also installed LEDs in all exterior lighting. I did not have the same issue as you, but they did flash really fast until I installed the proper relay.

Yes. I actually installed the new flasher unit a long time ago, thinking I would eventually swap out the lights for LEDs. The flash timing is normal.

Back