• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Blower Full blast - no stopping it!

azfansinnc

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

98 XJ. New to me but has had this problem since I got it. The blower is on level 4 (full blast) every time you turn on the key. The only way to stop it is to remove the blower relay or remove fuse 6 (40A) from PDC under the hood.

I initially thought maybe the blower resistor but that didn't fix it. Did I mention that it blows even with the resistor disconnected?

I also took out the A/C heater control panel and took it apart. The blower runs with the panel disconnected as well.

Every once in a awhile the HVAC blower speed switch will work as expected but it only lasts a few cycles.

Any insights on where the blower may be getting its power/ground from? I'm stumped and could use some insights.

Thanks.

Well, small update. Not fixed yet.

The black/tan wire between the HVAC control connector and the HVAC connector has a connection to ground (180 ohms impedance) for some reason, even when disconnected on both ends. Can't figure out how there could be a short with enough oomph to handle the amps in the harness but the process continues.

Issue solved. We cut the blower "High" speed wire about 6" off the connectors n both sides and connectors on both ends and replaced it the wire with a new 12Ga wire, tracing the majority of the harness under the dash. Problem solved, for now.

Back