• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas on camo paint

dgoxj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anybody have any idea on where I can get rattle can camo paint? Living in a small town I've looked at the Walmart and elsewhere and can't find any good camo paint. Also, I've seen manuals on how to paint camo to military spec, but now that I want to do it I can't find them. Camo's kind of tacky but it's a cheap paint job for a rusty XJ.

Napa used to sell a kit, it contained 3 colors of spray paint, Olive, Tan and Black you should try there, although I havent seen it at the one where I live in a while, it is something that they could probably get.

Check an army surplus store. The place here in Champaign has I think 4 colors. (yea that does you a lotta good :) )

I don't see why any old flat paint wouldn't work if you get the right colors.

Cheap paint

I used Lowe's brand cheap $0.99 per can spraybombs...since the 'brand name' camo paint was like $4/can...

Flat black was an easy pick, then settled on hunter green satin and gloss brown...then after a day of cure time, I lightly wet sanded the glossy spots with 400 grit. Grey and Brown/red primer would also work.

Mine is an approximation of milspec woodland camo... I didn't use any sort of pattern, just sort of winged it. I don't think one has to get a lot of detail into it...just random blotches of 2-4 earth tones that blend in with the local area.

FWIW I think those camo-jobs with the life-size 'leaf' pattern are stupid looking and not really effective, other than to wow the crowds at the local feed store.

Would love to see this on my Jeep...goes well with the USMC license plates, don't ya think? :D
DesertMARPAT_logo_jpg.jpg

Urban camo

Some body here did one a couple of years ago in urban camo, black/white/blue that came out really nice.

I've seen some 'urbans' or other modified camo schemes before, but have yet to see this one. It's the new camo style used by the Marine Corps on the redesigned 'MARPAT' uniforms, and from everything I've seen it's a very effective design.

Jim

Yucca-Man said:
I've seen some 'urbans' or other modified camo schemes before, but have yet to see this one. It's the new camo style used by the Marine Corps on the redesigned 'MARPAT' uniforms, and from everything I've seen it's a very effective design.

Jim

Yea its pretty cool. its exclusive to the Marines. And whats cooler is that no uniform is the same. Each one is randomly done. And they redsigned the uniforms for easier access to things.:cool:

I bought some for painting hunting gear. Try www.cheaperthandirt.com. It's about $3 a can. Also, HomeDepot had some nice matte colors in greens, browns, and tan. Matte black can be found anywhere. Woodland colors will be easier to find than desert camo colors.

Back