• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sweep jeep

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here we go, usually i am a lurker but what do you guys think for my settup? I have a 4.5 in. lift. old man emu in the front and RE in the rear and i run BOTH swaybars. This is an official chase rig for the the rallys run in the pacific northwest,through rally america and nasa. We go reasonably fast through the woods( witch is a really rough ride) and need to corner well. The jeep has done decent through the years but needs more. I put some RE monotube shocks all the way around but left me with a stiff ride. So here is the question, i have been looking at these fox and king shocks you guys buy. Are they really 350.00 a piece? could i get a set up like this reasonable? want to do shockw/ res inthe front and been toying with going up through the floor in the rear.. What do you guys think im looking at for a budjet build for what i do. Prices and part no. would be nice. i dont jump it on purpose and have stiffend some frame stuff. Here are a couple pics thanks
rallypics006.jpg

P1013470.jpg

992-7970.jpg

IMG_4017.jpg

your on CF arent you?

i run fox 2.0 reservoir shocks on mine, i love them. im also not used to them and havent had a chance to tinker around with them a bit to figure out how to adjust the ride. right now they're really stiff, i feel everything.

oh no i was talking about cherokeeforum.com.

oh and for the cost, idk, because they came on the jeep. but previous vehicles i ran regualr shocksand they dont really compare. im sure you can find my shocks on ebay or something at a decent price though

so does anyone have a recipie for a budjet setup using fox or kink shocks. looked on ebay and found some for 400 to 500 bucks a piece. there has to be a better deal.

downsouth motorsports. Fox 2.0 resi, 190 each, free custom valving, free revalve if sent back, and free shipping. I just got mine about 2 weeks ago, ran 760 for all 4 shipped and valved to my liking, your choice of travel

so does anyone have a recipie for a budjet setup using fox or kink shocks. looked on ebay and found some for 400 to 500 bucks a piece. there has to be a better deal.

Your Cherokee is bad a$$. Now that's a REAL XJ

Keep an eye on the race dezert classifieds and jeepspeed classifieds. Also keep an eye out on the classifieds here on NAXJA.

I almost lost it with the last picture with the VW (I had a first generation Rabbit GTI wish I still had it.)

How bout a pic of the cockpit?

I'd like to see your switch and radio setup.

they could probubly give me the application for the front with a 4.5 in lift but what kind of spec am i looking for in the back if i want to go through the floor. and if i carry 4 people and a bunch of emergency gear in the rear. 2 people 300+ pounds plus 200 in gear. jeep springs are setup to handle this now. and need advise on valving for driving fast through the woods, washboards, loose ruts and gravel.. thanks guys i am grateful.

Mine used to be setup for woods style where speeds were around 45-50mph and I was valved at around a 30/10 dual shock app but ran singles, but had tons of body roll at highway speeds, now valved for more wide open 65+ speed at 70/50 front and 50/70 rear

Fox 2.0's reservoir are great shocks.I run 10" long front and rear,for through the floor either 14" or 16".With that kind of weight in the rear you will need some custom valving which is no problem.I just got back from western Montana and ran some forest service roads there,it was alot of fun.

Fox 2.0's reservoir are great shocks.I run 10" long front and rear,for through the floor either 14" or 16".With that kind of weight in the rear you will need some custom valving which is no problem.I just got back from western Montana and ran some forest service roads there,it was alot of fun.

Thats good info but how tall are you. will those specs work for 4.5 lift?

Mine used to be setup for woods style where speeds were around 45-50mph and I was valved at around a 30/10 dual shock app but ran singles, but had tons of body roll at highway speeds, now valved for more wide open 65+ speed at 70/50 front and 50/70 rear

Thanks, i dont want any body roll. does your set up at 70/50 and 50/70 corner well? how much roll? where you using your swaybars? thanks.

well I have a 4cyl XJ swaybar to allow a little easily flexing over the bumpy terrain so that brings with it a little body roll but the shocks alone pretty well take out body roll. I havent got any real cornering tests done yet but on the highway it pretty well holds out on the body roll. Cant tell that there is much at all.

well I have a 4cyl XJ swaybar to allow a little easily flexing over the bumpy terrain so that brings with it a little body roll but the shocks alone pretty well take out body roll. I havent got any real cornering tests done yet but on the highway it pretty well holds out on the body roll. Cant tell that there is much at all.

sounds good so far. how fast would you have to go on a forest road before you would spill a cup of coffee? mine currently is 10mph.lol how smooth is your ride with that valving?

well valved the way it is you really have to get up to the 65+ range for the suspension to fully work smoothly enough to soak up the ruts, IMO if I were you Id valve it like I said I used to have mine but run a good swaybar, Anything over 25 with it, it rode like a cadi, just couldnt get 3+ feet of air and have a soft landing because you would hit bumps, but for ruts, speedbumps, dips, washouts, etc., that was honestly exactly how I would want valved. So now I have my shocks mounted with quick release pins so I can swap out for whatever mood Im in to run, only thing Id change is Id go a little stiffer on comp, probably to around 50/30 and it should be good up to 70 on forest roads as long as you have a good swaybar

Last edited:
Back