• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Waggy 44 under XJ with 8" so....How should I do the steering?

Heep

NAXJA Forum User
I did search but Im new to the steering thing. Im putting an 86 waggy D44 up front and dont know what to do about the steering. Can I use all stock waggy parts? Can I modify the waggy parts with some Heim joints since the TRE's are shot?
Should I make my own somehow?

?????

Maybe Wombat will chime in. We have the RE XD 5.5 on his XJ with 2" spacers. We used stock Waggy tie rod and drag links with the Skyjacker drop pitman arm for their 8" RR kit.

Works like a charm and easy to get parts for...

Heep said:
I did search but Im new to the steering thing. Im putting an 86 waggy D44 up front and dont know what to do about the steering. Can I use all stock waggy parts? Can I modify the waggy parts with some Heim joints since the TRE's are shot?
Should I make my own somehow?

What are your design goals...what do you want it to do for you?

You can run stock Waggy stuff, or you can make everything out of DOM tubing and use rod ends or tie rod ends, or you can do either link style with D44 hy-steer arms. Raising the steering up will require raising up the track bar also, so there is some fabrication involved.

On mine, I wanted to use rod ends because they are easy to work with, and I wanted the links to be as high as possible for rock clearance. So, I made all of the links and used hy-steer arms.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Here are some pictures of what my friend Mike did. I believe he used Chevy knuckles with a hi steer arm. He still needs to get a different pitman arm to finish it off.
mikes_xj_3.JPG
wag44_2.JPG
wag44_4.JPG
wag44_3.JPG

Hope the pictures help. Later, Eric

Thanks for the input. This rig will be 99% trail only. It will be 8-9" with 36" TSL's. We have just begun the project.

Back