• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifing my baby . . .

GoalPoster

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to lift my 98 Sport. I'm currently considering a Procomp 3" lift with Skyjacker shocks (hycraulic)

Is there anything I need to know . . . pros . . . cons . . . comments???

00xj said:
don't do it.
Oh come on..... that's stretching it a bit LOL.... My suggestion would be to set money aside from SYE and then lift and do it all at once :D but a certain amount of preparation can be done ahead of time:
1. Get setup with whatever arms and front end components you want :D that will work for your new targeted height (as well as current).... some adjustable ones should work out for you.

2. get adjustable trackbar if you don't have one, get ready to do the tierod if needed and so on....

then when you're ready to grow, all you'll need (appart from little details like longer brakelines and such) is suspension part (leaf springs, shackles, coils what have you) and SYE....... I know I'm probably missing some things in this outline, but this is the most painless way to go around it....

I agree with the others. If you'll eventually want to go higher, just save your money and go with a RE 5.5 or if you want higher go with skyjacker. But you'll need an SYE without a doubt ($299) @ Rustys. If your planning on doing heavy duty mudding or climbing, save up and go w/ skyjacker lift. and ditch pro-comp.
-Eric-

O.k sorry about that. (I'm cranky today)
It's just that my XJ has not taken well to the lift thing. I have been constantly working on this Jeep since I did it and I don't see an end in sight. I would not recommend lifting a newer Xj, JMO. But if you do an SYE is good advice. Mine is working well. Now If I could get ride of my front shaft vibes I would be happy.
If I my Jeep doesn't sell, I am probably going to go back to stock height.

Later, oh, If you do lift your Jeep do lots of research, ride in several, have some extra $$ for unforseen needs and do some more research.

I say go for it. If money is an issue then do a t-case drop for now and you can always put in an SYE later. I got mine for $85 (hack and tap). Nice set up.

Curt

I was all set for a lift also...but after speaking with a few members about their vibration issues, I'm thinking just get some really good shocks and tires, and just have fun.

OK.... I am not saying it will be a walk in the park... but it's not going to be a horror either. Most importantly plan! My headaches come from the fact that I did certain things "my way"...... anyways, prepare everything you need and don't rely on the tcase drop too much (it can only get you so far)

Anyways, as I said, but first arms, armour (if you don't have it yet) and adjustable track bar.... that will be a chunk of change.... wheel it, enjoy it, set money aside and then do lift and sye at the same time so that you get the shaft for the height you want it...... and voila... shocks and the rest of goodies are nothing if you got through all of this stuf already :D

I wanted to mention one more thing. I had a 4" lift on my jeep with a t-case drop for the past 6 years without any problems at all. You don't need to change much of anything with such a little lift like a 3". I now have a 5.5" lift and it still drives great.

It was the best thing I ever did was to put that 4" on. It was great fun and I would do it again in a minute. I t-case drop is no big deal either.

Like I said do you lift and enjoy yourself.
Curt

oops... I just read this again... and I realized that you wanna go to 3" and have 0" LOL... somehow I thought that you had 3" already and wanted to go taller.....

Anyways, I'd recommend RE :) with the long AAL.... and even though dropping the tcase might work... be preprared for hte worst case scenario of the SYE

h.curtis said:
You don't need to change much of anything with such a little lift like a 3".
Curt

HAHA That's the kinda quote that will get you. I fell for it. It's not quite that simple. Buying the springs is the easy part, its all the hidden issues that will get ya. Just do a search for "death wobble" and you will get my point. Heck, I've got a thread in the forum right now about a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Lifted XJ's are sweet. But saying that is pretty foolish. You do have to make quite a few changes. Its not like you just slap in some springs and your all set. I haven't heard of to many guys who just spent a Saturday in the driveway and wheeled off to happiness.

And if his sig says "I want my YJ back!!!!" then he probably doesn't have the stomach for it anyway.

(JMO, not trying to get everyone all mad.)

Later,

00xj said:
HAHA That's the kinda quote that will get you. I fell for it. It's not quite that simple. Buying the springs is the easy part, its all the hidden issues that will get ya. Just do a search for "death wobble" and you will get my point. Heck, I've got a thread in the forum right now about a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Lifted XJ's are sweet. But saying that is pretty foolish. You do have to make quite a few changes. Its not like you just slap in some springs and your all set. I haven't heard of to many guys who just spent a Saturday in the driveway and wheeled off to happiness.

And if his sig says "I want my YJ back!!!!" then he probably doesn't have the stomach for it anyway.

(JMO, not trying to get everyone all mad.)

Later,

Yeah, but we are just talking about 3"s. I have looked into deathwobble, but that would have to be really rare with a 3" lift and a tranny drop. I went 4"s and it was a piece of cake on my '96.

I just think if you want a lift you should go for it. Stock XJ's are really like station wagons IMHO. Oop, now I may get in trouble.

Curt

h.curtis said:
I wanted to mention one more thing. I had a 4" lift on my jeep with a t-case drop for the past 6 years without any problems at all. You don't need to change much of anything with such a little lift like a 3". I now have a 5.5" lift and it still drives great.

It was the best thing I ever did was to put that 4" on. It was great fun and I would do it again in a minute. I t-case drop is no big deal either.

Like I said do you lift and enjoy yourself.
Curt

But what year XJ do you have? It's a known fact that the '96 and newer with the "improved" transfer case output design is not lift-friendly. Pre-86 it's easy to go to 4" without much concern regarding vibrations.

Eagle said:
Pre-86 it's easy to go to 4" without much concern regarding vibrations.

Hey Eagle.... I'm the one that's supposed to be affected by the environment (soot and ash)...

Yes in general the pre 96 is more lift friendly... and for the 96+.... well, I tried to make sense out of it at one time or another.... I posted couple times on the old forum and couple on the new and tried to keep a tally of problematic and non - problematic lift combos and I have to say.... 8.25 or d35 with auto or stick or 231 or 242.... there was no way to predict what would happen when you lifted. At one point it seemed that the 8.25 with auto and 231 was the loosing combo... another that it was the stick and so on..... so till you lift it.... there is no way to know for sure :D

I have a 98 with 231 and ax15 and well.. I was fine at 3.5", but at a sagging 4" I wasn't (used leaf pack).... part of it might have been a screwy leaf pack... but I not too sure....

Eagle said:
But what year XJ do you have? It's a known fact that the '96 and newer with the "improved" transfer case output design is not lift-friendly. Pre-86 it's easy to go to 4" without much concern regarding vibrations.

I have a '96. The guy wants to lift. Why are people saying don't do it. It is unlikely he will run into problems with a t-case drop and a 3", IMHO. It is possible, but very unlikely.

Curt

I say go for it. I put rusty's 3" lift (springs and shocks only) on my 98 with d35 rear and 231 t-case and only get minor vibes around 35-45 mph. Not that noticible at 60+ mph. I eventually will add SYE, adj. track bar, and control arms, but it is cool for now. The benefits of the lift have far outweighed the small issues associated. It has been so nice to wait and watch someone back down a trail in their stock rig because of a technical section for me to fly right through it no problem. Also in Boulder, Co there are about 100,000 xj's (slight exageration) so I couldn't stand mine blending in looking stock.
As far as which company to go with, I went with Rusty's because of the price mainly. So far so good, but the standard shocks they include seem super cheap so I don't know how long they'll last.

[
If I my Jeep doesn't sell, I am probably going to go back to stock height. [/B]

I want your lift stuff if you do!!! Won't cause trouble on mine. Besides I have a vested interest in your project!!! A friend of mine wants to do 2" so he can get mine!! I still have your stock track bar!!

:D
ASAT

asatxj said:
I want your lift stuff if you do!!! Won't cause trouble on mine. Besides I have a vested interest in your project!!! A friend of mine wants to do 2" so he can get mine!! I still have your stock track bar!!

:D
ASAT

Hahaha did you use the lower arms?? We should get together and perhaps you could help me figure out a few things. Like why my front shaft is vibing, I replaced all the ujoints and it's still junk. I can't stand to drive it in fulltime 4wd, it used to be fine. Also my rear main shaft t-case seal is bad. So I'll have to replace that. And I think I'm going to take out one rear leaf from my pack to level it out and help with my alignment issues. What are you doing Saturday? email me at school
Later, Tom

Back