• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87" Cherokee Chief Question

IRONBULL

NAXJA Forum User
Hey XJ'ers, I just got me a "free" 87 XJ, (with a 2-8 no less
sick.gif
). But it does have an AX15 tranny.

And since I've lost the site I used to got to see specs on all the manual trannys produced, and since the Chevy pick-ups came with T-5s, I was considering swapping the AX15 for the WC T-5 outta my old 88 Turbocoupe. (Gears are pretty close)

Now, I don't know the imput/output spline numbers, or if AX15s are as strong as WC T-5s, and even need to be swapped.

So as a newbie, I thought I'd come to the source and get some real answers from the pros. Thanx guys.

Also I plan to junk the Dana 30 for a 40 out of a newer XJ, drop in 4.56s in the rear, along with 4.5in lift with 33X12.5X15's. (Is that even enuff lift :confused: )

Any feedback is appreciated:patriot:

Also I plan to junk the Dana 30 for a 40 out of a newer XJ, drop in 4.56s in the rear, along with 4.5in lift with 33X12.5X15's. (Is that even enuff lift )

Okay a couple questions here

1 What Dana 40 in newer XJs????

2. Why not go on down to 488 if your regearing the front and rear??

And now just a comment I have 2 Xjs with the 2.8 and one of them goes 1000 miles a week and have never had to touch the engine and it is stock and I have wheeled the shit out of it on some local trails...:D

I am not an expert on this issue, but I do not think a T-5 will fit. The reason being that a T-5 is right now behind my 2.5 lt engine, and as far as I know (and I could be wrong) the T-5 and AX-15 boxes do not share the same bellhousing patterns.

Eagle is the expert on these issues around here, hope he pops in.

Rgds

I'm skeptical about an 87 with a 2.8. 87 was the first year of the 4.0, which replaced the 2.8.

entirely different motors, if you're positive it's a 2.8, then the xj must be 84-86

SV1CEC said:
I am not an expert on this issue, but I do not think a T-5 will fit. The reason being that a T-5 is right now behind my 2.5 lt engine, and as far as I know (and I could be wrong) the T-5 and AX-15 boxes do not share the same bellhousing patterns.

Eagle is the expert on these issues around here, hope he pops in.

Rgds

as far as I know, the jeep 2.5 and the chevy 2.8 have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and transmission input shaft size. Don't take my word for it completely, but it is what I have heard over on the Isuzu side of things. (89-91 troopers were blessed with the chevy 2.8 in TBI form)

I do not know what the bellhousing is for the 2.8 lt, but if an AX-15 is currently on it, wouldn't that mean that it has the large bellhousing the 4.0 lt has? As far as I remember, the 2.5 lt received an AX-5 box.

This is my thinking, as I said I might be wrong.

Rgds

Okay yes you are correct in 87 they went to the 4.0 and that would make this XJ an 84-86 with that being said the tranny is a Chrysler 904... I really should have caught that yesterday because I am currently trying to put a 904 on a 2.5 Oh well back to this thread...

O.K. Once again guys I appologize for the mix-up with the year of this XJ. It's an 86, and I've been seeing that to the testimonys of other XJer's, that haven't been any compliants about hte toughness of an AX-15 gearbox.

Also I didn't want to go the lower and 4.56 gears beacause this will still be a HWY driven XJ.

But if you guys believe that 4.88s won't hurt, than I'll take y'alls word for it because this is my first XJ.

Thanx once again for the feedback guys.

BULL

The 4.88's will work fine with 33's if you drive sanely......the 2.5 and 2.8 do share the same bellhousing pattern along with a couple of other GM engines.....the 4.0 uses a different pattern.

Kudzu...if the 904 came out of a 2.5 or 2.8 Jeep it should bolt up using the appropriate flywheel...the only problem could be if the tranny doesnt have provisions for a crank position sensor if you have an injected engine...you can still get around that though...Hesco can fix you up with a front mount sensor kit and modify your harmonic balancer to match...

that's the problem...My 86 has TBI so the carb tranny doe snot have the hook ups for my crank sensor...Did fins out that all 86 flex plates should be the same and have tone ring but my problem now is finding one...Called 4 places that say they have them from a internet search but they do not know in they have a tone ring....

MudDawg said:
The 4.88's will work fine with 33's if you drive sanely......the 2.5 and 2.8 do share the same bellhousing pattern along with a couple of other GM engines.....the 4.0 uses a different pattern.

Thanx
icon_thumb.gif

Back