• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vise

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
First I think that it should be spelled with a "c" like Cocaine would qualify for or Miami Vice. Now that I've made that clear...I've been weighing my options on what to do with the bench vise I brought home from my father in-laws place. Like most of the things I found, it was probably hardly ever used but looked bad. This thing was pretty rusty. I started to do some research. Some of the folks over at garage journal really get into restoring these things and others said, "Don't paint it cuz it's just a vise and it's gonna get beat on." I started cleaning it up with a wire wheel and kinda like it looking a bit used. I wanted to take the handle and threaded rod out today and put some anti-sieze on it. This is the fastener that holds the handle on.

fodcfq.jpg

It looked like a caastle nut but two of the ears were pressed down into little recessions in the rod. It turns out that its not threaded at all. Almost pressed on. Have you all seen anything like this?

110w21h.jpg

2j30bau.jpg

I got it put back together but would love to know more about the fastener. Seems like a castle nut with a cotter pin through it would be smarter. Maybe they didn't have that technology back then?

2rp9od2.jpg

Not really, when you're tightening the vice down its pulling the handle into the body. All that retainer needs to do is keep yahoos from pulling the handle out.

That's right Dutch. As far as I can tell it doesn't do a thing when tightening down as that's all done by the female threads in the other jaw. Without this, when you unscrew the vice the handle just backs out. The collar hits the inside of the jaw after a quarter turn or so and then allows the whole jaw to back out. Pretty simple concept really.

Do you guys think it would be a waste of time to paint it and make it look all pretty or would you just use like it is now?

I like the vintage patina look. Besides, if you're like me it'll eventually become multi-colored from holding things in need of paint.

Some of the Bulldog vises are worth a decent amount of cash.

Nice find!

I like the vintage patina look. Besides, if you're like me it'll eventually become multi-colored from holding things in need of paint.

x2

I had some time to work more on this thing tonight while my new water heater was being installed. I love the way it looks now.

2vudbm9.jpg

I see what you were doing. I dig it.

that is a great old prentiss, I picked up an old athol from the 40s and i couldn't be happier with it. they don't make em like that anymore, take good care of it and you'll end up passing it down later in life too. be careful, collecting old vises is sort of a vice in itself :D

good find :cheers:

That's what I found odd over at garage journal. Entire threads showing off vices. But this little project was really fun so I can see it now.

Back