• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Vise Thread

asp

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best vise you've ever used? I don't have one, I need one, and I don't want to buy a POS. I found a Charles Parker vise with a patent date of 1930 on craigslist. I will probably be picking it up tomorrow night, but I'm interested to see what other makes exist.

yeah i've used one of those too. the clamp on the right side of it wore out and no longer bites. other than not staying clamped, it was in good shape. i'm looking for the next level up in durability. something that's old as dirt and showing little to no signs of wear.

Well, the world's oldest profession is certainly a vice... and it's as old as dirt and showing no signs of stopping.

I have a nice wilton that I picked up as a "scratch and dent" item from Redmond Machine for like 60% off. It had a couple scratches in the paint (which was why it was a S&D) and I was thinking, its a vice and it will be scratched the first time it gets used.

I've heard good things about Wiltons.

The first two are the 974 that I got a few months back. I only just got the wrench that goes with it yesterday, though.

DSC_0532Large.jpg

DSC_0533Large.jpg

Here's the Simplex 41S (49lbs, made in Woonsocket) that I gave to my father. The ruler in the pictures is 12" long.
simplex41S_2Large.jpg

simplex41S_1Large.jpg

From L to R, C. Parker 994, C. Parker 975 (missing the anti-finger pinching device), C. Parker 974, Columbian with bent handle, Wilton. The 994 is going to a friend.
DSC_0583Large.jpg

My 4
DSC_0575Large.jpg

The Wilton got beat on :( (it's also missing its back cap)
DSC_0570Large.jpg

Little guys (that's a 24" ruler)
DSC_0555Large.jpg

Same ruler next to the C. Parker 994. It weighs 89lbs.
DSC_0551Large.jpg

DSC_0549Large.jpg

5 minutes with my torch and hammer on the purple Columbian.
DSC_0584Large.jpg

Somehow I managed to forget to take a picture of the 975 next to the 24" ruler... But it's pretty much the same length. According to the catalog, it weighs 104lbs.

I'm going to buy the rest of them with the intent to keep a couple for myself and sell most of the others. I might go get them Saturday... We'll see.

I realized I didn't have one of the 975 next to the ruler.
DSC_0588Large.jpg

DSC_0585Large.jpg

I have access to 13 other old vises in various size. I plan on buying and reselling them. Right now they're just sitting, not getting used.

back in 82 our high school was closing its metal shop. i was an auto shop dude and the teacher said "take a couple vices if you want" so i grabbed 3 large wiltons. i still have them and beat the crap out of them too. still work awsome. they are the only vice to buy IMHO.

If I were to buy a new vise, Wilton all the way. There is a lot of good, old iron out there other than Wilton, once again - IMHO. Each company's design has its benefits and uses.

Back