• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Hybrid Cage build

twodollarbill

NAXJA Forum User
A few months ago I started my first real fab project. A hybrid cage. As everyone is quickly finding out, I think these types of cages bring the best of all worlds, to both protect the occupants and the XJ itself.

First came the "halo":
IMG_0463.jpg

Mocked up, spaced away from the body:
IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0466.jpg

IMG_0465.jpg

I then started work on the A pillars. The plan was to tie into my AJ's rock rails. I needed to extend these out a bit so I had full purchase of the tube. I plan to do the rocker replacement in the future as well.

Mocked up:
IMG_0470.jpg

Once I got the A pillars bent, I started on the cross bars that the other pillars will tie to. This is where having the halo mocked up and ratchet strapped in place really came in handy. It allowed me to continue to test fit without things moving around.
IMG_0475.jpg

Approximate location, front to back:
IMG_0474.jpg

Fishmouthing the A pillars turned out to be a challenge due to the fact that they were ending in the radius of the halo bends.
IMG_0479.jpg

A toilet paper tube is exactly 1.75" and was great for duplicating the first fishmouth.
IMG_0477.jpg

I then got the cross bars fishmouthed and ready and I was at the point of no return. Cutting through the roof.

IMG_0495.jpg

Since I was planning on welding the tube to the roof, I chose to pull the headliner.

Here is the B pillar hole in relation to the roof cross brace:
IMG_0493.jpg

B pillar mocked up:
IMG_0496.jpg

I sandwiched the floor with plate with the anticipation of tying the bottom plate to the frame once frame stiffeners go on. That will happen sooner rather than later.
IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

C pillars:
IMG_0506.jpg

These are welded to plate and then to the floor in the cargo area on top of the shackle boxes:
IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

Cross bracing done and all welded up:
IMG_0515.jpg

Front view:
IMG_0520.jpg

I can't see any of the tube from the drivers seat and tried to leave the most amount of room for windshield replacement if necessary.

I trimmed the fenders at night, right before a trail ride, so I don't have progress pics, but here is the finished product:
IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

I will be adding cross bracing behind the front seats in the near future, but wanted to wait until I replace the seats to determine placement of harness tabs.

Fishmouthing the A pillars turned out to be a challenge due to the fact that they were ending in the radius of the halo bends.
IMG_0479.jpg

A toilet paper tube is exactly 1.75" and was great for duplicating the first fishmouth.
IMG_0477.jpg
That notch was by far the most difficult one to cut on my cage. The cheapo Harbor Freight notcher I have surely wouldn't do it and I cut it mostly with a grinder. No joke it probably took me 2 hours on the first one trying to figure it out without screwing up the piece I had just bent.

That toilet paper tube as a template is a darn good idea.

That notch was by far the most difficult one to cut on my cage. The cheapo Harbor Freight notcher I have surely wouldn't do it and I cut it mostly with a grinder. No joke it probably took me 2 hours on the first one trying to figure it out without screwing up the piece I had just bent.

That toilet paper tube as a template is a darn good idea.

The first one is always the most difficult. Especially with the A pillar. I spent probably the same amount of time figuring it out. You have to take your time because of the multiple clearance issues. You have to account for the windshield, the fender, your frame tie-in, the angle of the tube. PITA.

I really rough cut with a sawzall and did numerous test fits and configuring with a grinder.

Any plans for cross bars on the b-pillars? what about the windshield?

Any plans for cross bars on the b-pillars? what about the windshield?

Yeah, a cross bar will go between the b pillars, with triangulation to the floor. I just didn't want to locate it until I figure out seating options and the harnesses that will go with them.

I'm not going to cross over the hood/cowl. If anything I will go forward with fender bars that tie into the front bumper in the future.

I got a PM asking about some more detail as to how the A pillar ties into the rockers.

I have AJ's rails and they only stuck out about 1" beyond the door/fender. As such I needed to add a bit more surface for the tube to tie into.

I added a small 1/4" think plate to the top of the rail and added 1/4" think gussets to the bottom.

This pic is from when I was swapping my radiator, but if you look, you can see a bit more detail as to the mods to the rock rail.
IMG_0490.jpg

Back