• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was done to YOUR rig(XJ/MJ) today MECHANICALY????

No leaks! Going to Bridgeport on Sunday to see what I can break next.

Sooo, am I reading this right, the NAXJA President is now a Texas RRC person?

That's super cool. This chapter is almost 15 years old now? And struggled just have and keep enough members and offices to exist a few times.

If all goes as planned I will be selling some of XJ collection this year.

Barely drive anymore (Maybe 50 miles/year), much less wrench (Joint damage in fingers from RA Autoimmune disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis)). Wrenching just does more damage.

May try to find a young, local Padawan learner to teach, since I have a shop and all the tools, and know how... this spring.

Will be selling off excess spare XJ parts A-Z, My Franken-Jeep custom Diesel 1985 5 speed manual rig. Not going to take the time to list it all. Need something, give me a holler. Random part A-Z or whole jeep.

Plan to sell 1 or 2, 1989 white 4x4 XJ stock rigs. AC still works in one. Both still run. They were DDs when I bought them..

Sill in the Houston area.

EF-3 :shiver: missed me last week. party1:

I have a lot of new and used spare parts I bought and horded, but they are just costing me money to store now days...

@Ecomike Sorry to hear about your health.

I've been looking at getting a vehicle to help with our new house/land we will be moving to here in(hopefully) about 6 months. Need something that I can load some feed/hay/tools into and drive around easily.

Was thinking a SxS/Mule/...etc...but those are all so expensive I could get a comanche for about the same and having something that I can drive on the road.

So now I've been checking out Comanches lol. Not that I can afford those either.

My son bought one in 2020, just before the pandemic. Ask was $7600 (6" lift, new paint awesome looking) but the engine blew up in less than 50 miles, had to ship from Oregon to Texas, another $1000. Took the good engine from the 87 totaled XJ jeep had it rebuilt, $$$$$$, must have $11,000 in His Comanche already.

My health issues started in 2014, but the pandemic made the hand joint pain worse when I try to use them, from lack of use the last 3 years...

Been lucky I was set up years ago, ready for this... Just annoying not being able to what I liked.... I had to give up a near pro bowling effort in the 1980s (knees, and joints, early sings of the RA)

dang man, yeah there are some Comanches that are promising. I think I want a 91/92 model year has it will have the H.O. and be non Renix versions. Not sure on if they will still have the disconnect d30. Kind of forgot all of that information lol.

Got the XJ out to Hidden Falls a little bit back and it was so nice to see the benefits from all my hard work!!!

Moving from a blown steering box to a hydro assisted setup is a HUGE improvement! This is the first time my arms weren't sore after a day of wheeling. Welds held :)

Bump stops are also nice to have! Was definitely a blast running some trails with a bit of speed.

I has also added a lunchbox locker to the rear, which is really nice! Locked front and rear now :)

https://imgur.com/a/QVIsAqx

Thanks! Yeah its on 35" BFG KM2s.

In mid 2020, i picked up the XJ, a welder, and an angle grinder. I have always wrenched on my own vehicles, but this is my first non daily driver to have fun with. Its also been a blast figuring out how to stick metal together.

I haven't done all that much to it, but i should start a build thread. It came pretty nicely built with the 35s, Clayton long arm 3 link, one ton steering, a trussed/locked D30, and 4.88 gears.

However, there was TONS of deferred maintenance to be done. It was leaking like a sieve and running like crap. I feel like i spent so much time fixing and sorting stuff, but i have finally gotten to making improvements! I always end up with a list after each trip.

Projects that come to mind include:
  • New rear bumper (first fabrication project!)
  • Fixed tons of binding in front suspension / steering
  • Added hydro assisted steering with rebuilt box
  • Trans and steering coolers (Big improvement!)
  • Added rear locker
  • Prothane progessive F/R bumpstops

I could have phrased that better. Mainly in the steering. Tie rod was interfering with diff cover and coil buckets. Drag link was interfering with axle size sway bar mounts.

3 link was good except for the brake lines being too short.

all good! I'm running the YJ stock lines that add about 4"s of travel. Thinking of getting some better aftermarket ones front and back.

Got the JKS adjustable coil spacers and the bump stops spacers installed over the weekend.

Bought a new battery since the one I had isn't holding a charge. Probably need to go get the brake fluid flushed since the pedal feels weird.

Thanks! Yeah its on 35" BFG KM2s.

In mid 2020, i picked up the XJ, a welder, and an angle grinder. I have always wrenched on my own vehicles, but this is my first non daily driver to have fun with. Its also been a blast figuring out how to stick metal together.

I haven't done all that much to it, but i should start a build thread. It came pretty nicely built with the 35s, Clayton long arm 3 link, one ton steering, a trussed/locked D30, and 4.88 gears.

However, there was TONS of deferred maintenance to be done. It was leaking like a sieve and running like crap. I feel like i spent so much time fixing and sorting stuff, but i have finally gotten to making improvements! I always end up with a list after each trip.

Projects that come to mind include:
  • New rear bumper (first fabrication project!)
  • Fixed tons of binding in front suspension / steering
  • Added hydro assisted steering with rebuilt box
  • Trans and steering coolers (Big improvement!)
  • Added rear locker
  • Prothane progessive F/R bumpstops

Let's see some pics Mr. President

Happy Wednesday!

The garage had been a wreck and got it cleaned up and the jeep put away this weekend. Heading to hidden falls last weekend of the month!!! :) I have some play in the double cardon rear driveshaft joint, so should probably go ahead and rebuilt it. I believe I have all the parts on hand. Also have some rock lights that have been sitting on the shelf for close to 3 years now. Hopefully going to get those on!

A few pics for your viewing pleasure
https://imgur.com/a/jkDDe7g

There definitely are some of us out here, but cool XJ sightings seem to be getting more and more rare.

Back