NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 16th, 2018, 19:47
NAXJA Member

Why do most swingouts go toward the passenger side?

After looking around at a lot of tire carriers for my new build trying to find the perfect one, I've noticed that a majority (if not all) tire carriers swing to the passenger side.

Does anyone know if there is a reason for this or Is it just done this way since the factory carriers swing this way?

I'd like to hear some input on why this seems to be the norm.
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old January 16th, 2018, 19:53
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Why do most swingouts go toward the passenger side?

Here in the USA we drive on the right side of the road and as such when we have a problem, mechanical, flat tire etc... we tend to pull to the right side of the road. With that in mind the tire swinging to the right puts it away from traffic. Not all vehicles or aftermarket bumpers do this but most do for safety. My factory setup swings to the right as did my Bronco and Blazer.
Old January 16th, 2018, 20:03
NAXJA Member

And the obvious anwser was sitting right in front of me... thank you for that.

I was thinking about building one with the opposite swing to combat the sagging passenger leaf that I always seem to have. I thought the combo of torque twist and the weight of the tire way out on the swingout was causing sag and I could help even out the leaf sag by having the tire hang off the drivers side while having the back of the jeep open for camp.
92 MJ AW4 2wd, 97 mirrors. Future 4wd swap, 242, MJ 44, Eliminator Roll bar, Bucket seats, 97+ console
Old January 17th, 2018, 03:42
NAXJA Member

I bought mine to swing left, but I live in the country and don't park on the side of the road except in emergency
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:50
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawagoneer View Post
Here in the USA we drive on the right side of the road and as such when we have a problem, mechanical, flat tire etc... we tend to pull to the right side of the road. With that in mind the tire swinging to the right puts it away from traffic. Not all vehicles or aftermarket bumpers do this but most do for safety. My factory setup swings to the right as did my Bronco and Blazer.
This.

Correct answer. I am considering doing a 40/60 split on my next build, but safety is the main issue.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old January 17th, 2018, 07:51
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose_XJ88 View Post
And the obvious anwser was sitting right in front of me... thank you for that.

I was thinking about building one with the opposite swing to combat the sagging passenger leaf that I always seem to have. I thought the combo of torque twist and the weight of the tire way out on the swingout was causing sag and I could help even out the leaf sag by having the tire hang off the drivers side while having the back of the jeep open for camp.
If it bothers you that much, consider that by the time you sit in the driver's seat, you're probably evened out.

If your OCD still twitches, put a spacer under the leaf. And, done!
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old January 17th, 2018, 09:04
NAXJA Forum User

When I built my bumper I put the swing out to the passenger side, with the tire on the passenger side. It was very hard to see out as when you look back, you look right at the tire.

I remounted the swing out to the driver side to move the tire. I wanted to cut down on the weight so I moved the whole carrier to keep it small and not put all the weight on the end of the swing out.
Old January 17th, 2018, 12:29
NAXJA Forum User

My tire is centered on the jeep on my factory carrier. I see ok out the back but tend to use my side mirriors more. I drove trucks and vans for years and visability thru the rearview was poor at best so i use side mirrors. My favorite thing is the rearview camera on my wife's Expedition. (Due to its size and seats the rearview mirror in it is also pretty useless.)
Old January 18th, 2018, 10:19
NAXJA Member

I also think it’s easier when the latch is on the drivers side. Then I don’t have to walk all the way around the jeep. Just get out and the latch is less of a walk. Lol.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 13:08
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
I also think it’s easier when the latch is on the drivers side. Then I don’t have to walk all the way around the jeep. Just get out and the latch is less of a walk. Lol.
what I was thinking too
Old January 23rd, 2018, 14:05
NAXJA Member

also, most of the time if you pull off the side of the road, the side of the road slopes down and away from the road for drainage....imagine having to push the spare tire & all uphill to open it and latch it...and then how much would it hurt if it came unlatched and hit you ?...
Old January 25th, 2018, 15:59
Only Slightly Psychotic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
...and then how much would it hurt if it came unlatched and hit you ?...
That's what would happen to me.
'87 MJ • 4.0 • AW4 • 231 • D-44 • Stock-ish
SoCal Chapter VP
Old January 29th, 2018, 15:13
Piece of Fish!

Keep the swing out to the right, but mount the tire on the left side, maybe have high lift, fuel/water tanks on the right.
The dirtbiund bumper I have on my XJ is that way. The tire basically being right behind you gives at least some visibility when you turn to your right to look back.
blistovmhz: Goddamn Canada. We're all rapists. Don't come here.
Old January 29th, 2018, 15:37
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnie Walker View Post
Keep the swing out to the right, but mount the tire on the left side, maybe have high lift, fuel/water tanks on the right.
The dirtbiund bumper I have on my XJ is that way. The tire basically being right behind you gives at least some visibility when you turn to your right to look back.
That is what I'm doing with mine, I special ordered with dual swing outs and plan to put a ladder rack on the right side

Another thing you can do is make a really long swing-arm that mounts to the right, with the tire on the left out on the edge of the arm. Need room behind you to open fully but it achieves the desired results

Last edited by ehall; January 29th, 2018 at 15:42.
Old January 31st, 2018, 20:45
NAXJA Member

Or you could come straight down and use the tire as a step, not swinging either direction into “traffic.”