NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old February 5th, 2018, 13:12
NAXJA Member

Re: Project: Keeping It Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmanxj5050 View Post
Wow!! great work.

I've recently been working on a similar project on an off. Gave up my wheeling rig about two years ago. Bought my wife a 01 to DD last spring. Just did a 4.5" lift and some JK take offs a couple months ago.

What are you using to post these photos?
After the photobucket hostile takeover, I'm using Flikr. Hopefully this lasts a bit.

I'm nor savvy enough nor have enough time to do the whole "host them on my own server" deal.
Old February 5th, 2018, 20:02
NAXJA Member

That's a lot of work to fix the floor, kudos to you. I'd have just crumbled it up and found another, although admittedly they're getting harder to find.
Old February 5th, 2018, 22:31
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
That's a lot of work to fix the floor, kudos to you. I'd have just crumbled it up and found another, although admittedly they're getting harder to find.
Well, it's one of my three top colors, has a low low mileage engine, and already has everything else and barely a spec of rust. Trying to find one this clean other than the floor would have set me back the same if not more.

Got the heater box back together with new foam seals.

Hopefully it should be back in tomorrow, then onto the headliner.
Old February 6th, 2018, 15:53
NAXJA Member

Are you concerned about moisture between the body and the MVL? How is it attached, some sort of spray glue?

How much MVL did you get, and from where? More details, more!
Who are you and why should we care?
Old February 6th, 2018, 21:47
NAXJA Member

You have a Dirtbound center console bracket ready to go, yes?

Last edited by Kittrell; February 6th, 2018 at 21:54.
Old February 7th, 2018, 08:17
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
Are you concerned about moisture between the body and the MVL? How is it attached, some sort of spray glue?

How much MVL did you get, and from where? More details, more!
Not concerned about moisture much at all. The MLV is waterproof (being vinyl), and the CCF is pretty water resistant.

See post below for more information on stuff and things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittrell View Post
You have a Dirtbound center console bracket ready to go, yes?
Actually JCR

I had a $50 Cert to JCR, so I got one of their center console brackets, since the one in this Jeep was...surprise surprise...broken.

Got it installed last night!
Old February 7th, 2018, 08:35
NAXJA Member

So, to give a brief overview, the MLV and CCF are not really adhered to the body. The only thing holding them in place (and doing a rather fine job of it), are the physical weight and velcro strips.

First step is to strip the body down, and get it cleaned up. I first used a spray bottle and a shop vac to get up a bunch of dust and dirt. From there, it all got wiped down with mineral spirits.

Then came the CLD (Constrained Layer Dampening) tiles. These are a butyl back pieces, that have adhesive and get placed to cover ~25% (I went more, though I didn't really *need* to) to cut down on resonance and vibration. I used a knuckle method, knocking everywhere I could and applying the CLD in areas that sounded hollow, flexed more, etc.

One this is done, the real fun begins.

I cut the MLV in sections, making my way through the cab. Prior to pulling the MLV out, I would push against it and mark areas that were flat, so that double sided velcro would adhere. Once I had areas fitted and marked for where to place velcro, I pulled the MLV out.

Once it was out, I would lay it on the CCF and cut out a piece to match. Then, I cut 1" x 2" or so sections of velcro and placed them on the MLV as I had marked.

Then, feel through the CCF and mark where to cut holes for the velcro, and cut the holes out.

Use some Vinyl Cement, and add some small dabs to both in the same (mirrored) areas, and let cure until tacky. Then place them together and pat them center out, so that both pieces lay nice and flat.

From there, place it where it was, and strategically pull the other velcro adhesive cover off, and press in place.

Here's some pictures that might help:

MLV on bottom with velcro and some Vinyl Cement, Mirrored CCF on top with cements as well.

Them put together and letting cure for a few minutes:

From there, they get applied to look like this, before gap strips are placed:

Old February 7th, 2018, 09:02
NAXJA Member

Now, for a materials list...

I kind of based my stuff off what Sound Deadener Showdown had (they have a list for XJ's, provided by someone who did it previously). I would highly recommend that site to anyone curious to get an idea, see pictures, etc. I would have gotten everything from there, but his prices are a bit higher, and the shipping was...a LOT.

As a note, I did a LOT, and I mean a LOT of shopping around. Here's what I went with.

CLD Tiles:

I looked around, and settled on the following, they've got good reviews around the web, and this isn't a high end car:

Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got one. I *should* have enough to do the roof, doors, and hatch with what I have left.

$65.60

Mass Loaded Vinyl:

1lb/sqft, 1/8" thickness, Qty: 100 sqft.

I got mine for $154 shipped before some discount off eBay ($15 off $75 or more).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1lb-Mass-Lo...AOSweW5U568 c

I've still got a bit of roll left. In theory I could measure it by weight, as each sq. ft. is 1 lb.

That 100 lb. roll was a pain to move

Closed Cell Foam:

There were quite a few places that were close, but I went through The Foam Factory (www.foambymail.com) .

Neoprene Foam Sheets
Density: High Quality
Thickness: 1/8" Thick
SheetSize: 80" x 48"
Qty. 5

$119.95

I also got the following for Heater Box Seals:

Cross Linked Polyethylene - 2LB
Thickness: 1"
SheetSize: 48" x 24"
Color: Charcoal
Qty. 1
$26.99

Velcro

I originally got one box, but actually ended up needing two (have lots of leftovers)

VELCRO Brand - Industrial Strength - 2" Wide Tape, 15' - White

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$19 each x 2 = $38

3M Thinsulate Acoustic

I got this for the roof and rear quarters. In reality it's good for wherever you can stuff it. What doesn't find it's way into the roof and rear quarters, will be used in the doors.

I got 10' x 5' of it, for 50 total feet. $136.62 before some of the same eBay discounts.

Here's the only place I could find it "retail". Looking around, this stuff is some of the best, of the best:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-Thinsula...72.m2749.l2649

Contact Cement

I got the stuff recommended by SDS, HH-66 Vinyl Contact Cement.

Cheapest I found it was Tarpstop.com, I got two since they were cheaper (in case).

$40.31 shipped.

Other things:
Butyle Rope (mainly for doors and hatch) - $16.90
Roller (for installing CLD) - $10

So, total cost currently is (not factoring in the eBay discounts): ~$607.75.

Yep, I realize that's far more that 99% of XJ owners are willing to spend, but for me the interior was already out, and I wanted a nice quiet rig. I'll be able to compare an "OEM" XJ (zluster's) to this one to see decibel difference. I also plan on running a Walker Quiet Flow as well. Installed one on the wife's '96, and I like it.

So there...expensive and a bit of work
Old February 7th, 2018, 19:03
NAXJA Forum User

Man, this is awesome.

I am trying to restore an XJ and have been planning to spend some time this summer on the interior and sound deadening. Have no clue what I am doing in this department so I will be following this thread.
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:17
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALTANAKT View Post
Man, this is awesome.

I am trying to restore an XJ and have been planning to spend some time this summer on the interior and sound deadening. Have no clue what I am doing in this department so I will be following this thread.
I really honestly had no clue, just jumped in and went. It's not rocket science, it just takes time and persistence.
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:23
NAXJA Member

Old heater core out, with it's less than stellar foam seals:

Torn apart:

Back together with new foam seals, and cleaned up inside and out:

Back in, and the dash hanging as of last night.

The dash was still a little wet and from getting hosed off and cleaned earlier that day...so I moved onto stripping the engine:

I've done enough of these I could do a head gasket in a day. This will just be a FULL Preventative Maintenance overhaul, outside of actually doing the head gasket.

Once I get my hot water line in the shop fixed, it will get pushed outside for a good engine bay clean down and coolant system flush.
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:25
NAXJA Member

I was looking at the CLD you used on Amazon. Did the packaging have anything about temperature rating? I need to insulate my trans tunnel to keep some heat down in the summer, and the CLD with some of the foam will probably help since there is pretty much zero interior.

Awesome work as usual tho. Looks like it'll make quite a difference.
Old February 8th, 2018, 11:38
NAXJA Member

The foil backed butyl on Amazon should be more than capable of withstanding those temps. Its the "same" stuff that sits relatively close to the exhaust that's OEM (the stuff I froze and chiseled off).

I can't imagine these are that much different than the SDS ones.

From SDS, the specs of those are 400F+ for 8 hours+. So, even at 60% of that stuff, it should be fine.
Old February 8th, 2018, 14:21
NAXJA Member

Thanks for all the detail on the sound deadening. I need to do some floor repair at some point in the next few months, and adding some quality sound deadening is on the list for the same time. I'll be interested to see the decibel difference between yours and a stock interior
Old February 8th, 2018, 22:58
NAXJA Forum User

Thinking I have a leaking Evap which is why my AC is not working properly. Dreading taking the dash apart to fix this. Been thinking about the foam seals. If I missed it I apologize but could you supply a link to what you used?