• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could this be how it all ends?

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
After reading an article, I'm almost ashamed to admit where from, in the Feb 2008 issue of GQ, some interesting theories were brought up. And by interesting theories, I really mean interesting ideas. There was really only one theory. Here's the theory, crazy though it may be: There is a coming battle between humans and animals. Mind you the article was done kinda tongue-in-cheek, he made up a fictional scientist, a fictional trip to Africa. But every animal incident he cites is real. And that's kinda disturbing. Maybe he's skewing things, but still its an interesting read. Now, to quit dancing around the topic and put it out there. He starts off with Steve Irwin. The giant sting ray is an animal that has long been thought harmless to humans. In the over 300 some odd years we've been swimming around them, knowingly and unknowingly, there hasn't been a single recorded incidence of one "spiking someone to death in the heart". So, there's a first time for everything, freak occurrence, right? 6 weeks later James Bertakis was in his boat near Boca Raton, FL when a giant sting ray jumped into his lap sat face to face there (as much as a ray can be face to face while lying in your lap), then stung him in the heart, same as Steve Irwin. That's two freak occurrences, within 6 weeks, half a world apart. In Sonoma County CA there was a sudden increase in the attacks on children by the local chicken population. Boston has been having an unusual amount of wild turkey attacks (not the whiskey either) on children and old people. A seaside town in England has been having an uprising amongst the seabirds. Elephants are wiping out entire villages in Africa and Asia. Entire herds trampling huts and people into the ground. "44 Nigerian communities 'erased' by rampaging elephants ina single migratory season". In one place they broke into the locally brewed rice beer after clearing the town, then died when they repeatedly threw themselves into electric fences, proving that we're not the only species to turn into complete retards when drunk. Some biologists believe that we may be seeing increased elephant aggression as a means of revenge against humans for intentional and accidental elephant deaths. Salt Springs, FL saw 3 women killed by gators in one week about a year and a half ago. In Bombay, a pack of leopards came out of the forest in the middle of town and attacked and killed 22 people. They'd never ventured out of their forest before, why now? China saw a 34% increase in attacks by cats and dogs in the first 6 months of 2007as compared to the year prior. Four people have been shot by their dogs in the past 2 years here in America, one of which involved a stun gun. That's likely just dumb luck, but still funny...In Albania, a pack of 200 dogs came down from the mountains into the town of Mamurras and just started tearing people apart. One witness even claimed there was a clearly identifiable leader. India has seen troops of over 2000 "monkey raiders" take over the busiest highway on a somewhat regular basis. The British rat population has increased 40% in the last decade. Scientists say that this massive growth is coming from rats teaching other rats how to avoid the poison. A population of Chimps in Senegal has learned to fashion and use spears. In 200 yrs of observation they never figured it out, now they're learning. They use them to spike bush babies hiding in hollow trees. Dolphins are attacking people now, there's one in Brittany (I'm assuming its in France based on the name of the guy they talk to) who's targeting fishermen in their boats. Sea lions are suddenly becoming aggressive towards humans also. There's an incident where one jumped into a man's boat, knocked him overboard and took him down. Chimps in Uganda and Tanzania have started taking peoples babies. In the past 7 yrs, 16 babies have been stolen, half of which were dead before they could be found. In Belarus, beavers have started attacking people. A jogger in North Carolina was seen getting surrounded by a squadron of male hermit crabs who were advancing on him as though to attempt to drive him off the pier. In Africa, a place called Mandera, there was a 2 hr battle between the villagers and chimpanzees over 3 water tankers. The people ran out to get water from the trucks but were attacked by rock throwing chimps. One guy got his skull cracked by a rock thrown by one of them. The men all came back with axes and killed 8 chimps before the rest ran off. Even then, the chimps had already gotten a third of the water, they knew how to work the valves, and the drivers were so scared they took off before the people could draw off the rest of the water. Late February 2000, a shepherder Ali Adam Hussein, slid down a sink hole to get some water from his cattle. When he looked up, he saw several monkeys begin hurling rocks at his head. He made it back to town and a hospital, where he later died. Kropotkin's Mutual Aid, details hundred of cases of cooperation between species. Its even spread to animal on animal violence. Storks in one town descended and started slaughtering the chickens. An elephant was caught raping a rhino. Chimps have been killing each other, their babies and raping in increased levels. No matter whether you buy into the whole paranoia, us vs them theme of the article, it was still entertaining. :D

Matthew Currie said:
Hmmm. Been seeing a lot of crows in groups recently. I wonder.....

At least we're far enough inland to avoid the giant atomic lobsters.

Did you know that a large group of crows is called a "murder?"

Food for thought...

Forgot to ask - can you scan the original? I'd like to read it, but I don't get GQ...

Last edited:
I've been keeping the Oppossum population down

Ba-Riedo said:
This is why animals should have no rights and should be kept in cages or on my plate with some bar-b-que sauce. Down with PITA.

-Alex

There, fixed it for ya!!

Man, if the animals take over I'm screwed...we feed over 600 head of cattle and we have 2 hog confinement barns with 4800 head of hogs. Damn, I wouldn't have a chance if they (the animals) took over...(start the erie music now)..:D

You would have to be pretty short sited to think that humans are a permanent fixture here. History will always repeat itself, its just that the cycle can take so long to repeat that as humans, we havent been here long enough to realize its repeating.

BlackSport96 said:
After reading an article, I'm almost ashamed to admit where from, in the Feb 2008 issue of GQ, some interesting theories were brought up. And by interesting theories, I really mean interesting ideas.

There was really only one theory. Here's the theory, crazy though it may be: There is a coming battle between humans and animals. Mind you the article was done kinda tongue-in-cheek, he made up a fictional scientist, a fictional trip to Africa. But every animal incident he cites is real. And that's kinda disturbing. Maybe he's skewing things, but still its an interesting read.

Now, to quit dancing around the topic and put it out there. He starts off with Steve Irwin. The giant sting ray is an animal that has long been thought harmless to humans. In the over 300 some odd years we've been swimming around them, knowingly and unknowingly, there hasn't been a single recorded incidence of one "spiking someone to death in the heart". So, there's a first time for everything, freak occurrence, right? 6 weeks later James Bertakis was in his boat near Boca Raton, FL when a giant sting ray jumped into his lap sat face to face there (as much as a ray can be face to face while lying in your lap), then stung him in the heart, same as Steve Irwin. That's two freak occurrences, within 6 weeks, half a world apart.

In Sonoma County CA there was a sudden increase in the attacks on children by the local chicken population. Boston has been having an unusual amount of wild turkey attacks (not the whiskey either) on children and old people. A seaside town in England has been having an uprising amongst the seabirds.

Elephants are wiping out entire villages in Africa and Asia. Entire herds trampling huts and people into the ground. "44 Nigerian communities 'erased' by rampaging elephants ina single migratory season". In one place they broke into the locally brewed rice beer after clearing the town, then died when they repeatedly threw themselves into electric fences, proving that we're not the only species to turn into complete retards when drunk.

Some biologists believe that we may be seeing increased elephant aggression as a means of revenge against humans for intentional and accidental elephant deaths. Salt Springs, FL saw 3 women killed by gators in one week about a year and a half ago. In Bombay, a pack of leopards came out of the forest in the middle of town and attacked and killed 22 people. They'd never ventured out of their forest before, why now?

China saw a 34% increase in attacks by cats and dogs in the first 6 months of 2007as compared to the year prior. Four people have been shot by their dogs in the past 2 years here in America, one of which involved a stun gun. That's likely just dumb luck, but still funny...In Albania, a pack of 200 dogs came down from the mountains into the town of Mamurras and just started tearing people apart. One witness even claimed there was a clearly identifiable leader.

India has seen troops of over 2000 "monkey raiders" take over the busiest highway on a somewhat regular basis. The British rat population has increased 40% in the last decade. Scientists say that this massive growth is coming from rats teaching other rats how to avoid the poison.

A population of Chimps in Senegal has learned to fashion and use spears. In 200 yrs of observation they never figured it out, now they're learning. They use them to spike bush babies hiding in hollow trees.

Dolphins are attacking people now, there's one in Brittany (I'm assuming its in France based on the name of the guy they talk to) who's targeting fishermen in their boats. Sea lions are suddenly becoming aggressive towards humans also. There's an incident where one jumped into a man's boat, knocked him overboard and took him down.

Chimps in Uganda and Tanzania have started taking peoples babies. In the past 7 yrs, 16 babies have been stolen, half of which were dead before they could be found. In Belarus, beavers have started attacking people.

A jogger in North Carolina was seen getting surrounded by a squadron of male hermit crabs who were advancing on him as though to attempt to drive him off the pier. In Africa, a place called Mandera, there was a 2 hr battle between the villagers and chimpanzees over 3 water tankers. The people ran out to get water from the trucks but were attacked by rock throwing chimps. One guy got his skull cracked by a rock thrown by one of them. The men all came back with axes and killed 8 chimps before the rest ran off. Even then, the chimps had already gotten a third of the water, they knew how to work the valves, and the drivers were so scared they took off before the people could draw off the rest of the water.

Late February 2000, a shepherder Ali Adam Hussein, slid down a sink hole to get some water from his cattle. When he looked up, he saw several monkeys begin hurling rocks at his head. He made it back to town and a hospital, where he later died.

Kropotkin's Mutual Aid, details hundred of cases of cooperation between species. Its even spread to animal on animal violence. Storks in one town descended and started slaughtering the chickens. An elephant was caught raping a rhino. Chimps have been killing each other, their babies and raping in increased levels. No matter whether you buy into the whole paranoia, us vs them theme of the article, it was still entertaining. :D

The monkey's are mad at Beej's lack of lubication useage and no courtesy of a reach around...

Cornflake said:
great book, movie could of been better.

Get used to it - books usually suffer in translation to movies, just some less than others (an example of that would be Maximum Overdrive, based on Trucks by Stephen King. I'm not sure that his The Mist will do well, tho...

(And if you want a good example of "suffering in translation", read Starchip Troopers, then watch the movie. I've never quite forgiven Verhoeven for what he did to an excellent story on soldiers' philosophy...)

I know books usually don't translate so well to the screen. I guess it's due to each individuals imagination and comprehension as they read the book. Harry Potter has been about the only book series that have been filmed almost the exact way I imagined them to be from the books, which is pretty sad. Stephen Kings books never make good movies except for a very few.

Jed Clampett says "Critterz is fer eatin'. "

Back