• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alarm?

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
My '90 xj doesnt have power windows or power locks, what kind of alarm do you all recomend? The all seem to have keyless entry can crap I dont need.

Thanks

I've got a cheap "alarm".It consists of a flashing L.E.D. mounted on the dash and a small toggle switch mounted inconspicuously(sp?).Total cost about $10.Just flip the switch and I have a nice red flashing light.Works great as a visual deterrant.My other anti-theft device that works really well is my 102lb.wolf hybrid-he does'nt let anybody get in my rig if I'm not around. :laugh3: Just an idea for you.HTH
Jeff

Well I bit the bullet on a crime stopper alarm system from crutchfield with the extra relay for starter disable. I plan to do a tech write up to let you all know how it goes.

Thanks.

Should be fairly easy to install as crutchfield includes a paper with wire colors and descriptions to help you. Of course all you need is to connect the trigger wire to the dome light wire, and then the starter disable you might need to hardwire. When I did an install on my old '93 they included a harness, but it was for newer (97+) XJ's so I just didn't bother. I was in high school and it was my first attempt at anything electrical. It's a piece o' cake!

I have two very well hidden kill switches, one for starter, one for ignition. email me for pix of where the switches are hidden.

BTW, just picked up a Viper 160xv remote starter, door opener, no alarm though 'cept I think starter disable. I have a garage, my girlfriend doesn't, and it's cold in the am.

I'm currently brainstorming some sort of mechanical device that will immobilize the break pedal or gearshift knob, or ebrake lever that's easy to engage/disengage but not without key. Would work similarly to disk brake locks on motorcycles, get the picture?!? :paperwork

Btw, btw, Some s-bag just stole my magnetic support-our-troops ribbon from the hatch and then dented the sheet metal. Did the same to my girlfriends' Camry, no body damage though... wtf? was the point of that? Sorry I disgressed, seemed to fit in the thread.

Anyway, I'm always daydreaming of ways to fight back the miscreants. I have purcxhased a number of Radio Shack 110db piezos' that I'm going to mount INSIDE the cabin at ear level. See how long the loser can try to start the xj with quadraphonic ear-splitters cranking full-blast...

I loathe the dishonest....

[email protected]

Mike #300

if you have a standard trans dont bother with the starter disable do an ignition kill
that way they cant push start it, and while the are making all kinds of noise trying to start it you could get out there with freindly little "louie" or your preferred method of persuasion

Back