• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 solenoid help please

earthtiger

NAXJA Forum User
Today, I started my 2wd to 4wd conversion. I'm taking my time and things are going well. The replacement AW4 had a busted solenoid electrical plug from when the boneyard fluid drain-person used a drill to empty the tranny of it's fluid. It was nipped right on the plug. I easily replaced it and re-soldered the connection. My question is, now do I have to coat the soldered connection with some sort of insulation? I imagine, this, as well as the other solenoid connections, are immersed in tranny fluid. What keeps the elec. signal from spreading thru the tranny fluid and shorting? The plugs have a two-piece plastic head that doesn't seem like they are liquid tight. So I wonder if it matters if they're insulated or not.
thanks!
john

I concur with former posting. The electrical power that goes to the solenoid is very small.

Even the fuel pump which sits inside the gas tank has exposed wires. It has extremely low "amperage" I think so it can't even create enough spark to ignite gasoline vapors that it is immersed in.

Hope this helps.

Jeff-97XJ

That's correct, both ATF and gasoline are non-conductive. Nothing to worry about. The wires can short out if they touch another transmission part though, so make sure that's not a possibility.

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
That's correct, both ATF and gasoline are non-conductive. Nothing to worry about. The wires can short out if they touch another transmission part though, so make sure that's not a possibility.

Thanks Paul, Jeff, and Runnin', I suspected it 'cause the plugs are not fluid proof. There's no bare wires so I'm good on that, thanks for telling me.
I appreciate the help, all.
thanks!
john

Back