• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Greaseable Shackle Bolts

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
Anyone using greaseable spring shackle bolts?
Bolt size?
Both ends of the spring?
Source?

Thanks!

They only work if switch to poly bushings and they require drilling the bushing sleeves also.

They only work if switch to poly bushings and they require drilling the bushing sleeves also.

The IronRock springs I'm looking at have poly bushings. That would leave only the shackle mount to be converted.

Anyone using greaseable spring shackle bolts?
Bolt size?
Both ends of the spring?
Source?

Thanks!

Hardly worthwhile unless you do both!

Hardly worthwhile unless you do both!

Makes sense. I'm not sure it's going to make a huge difference and with poly might be less of an issue, and they're greased at install. Seems like OEM rubber lasts quite some time and poly probably more.

I don't think poly needs the grease so much for durability as it does for noise.

The deciding factor would be your tolerance level.

The poly on my front arms is dreadful when dry.

I've thought about tapping spring eyes for grease zeros. I have crown springs and poly bushings. Still debating grease zerks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've thought about tapping spring eyes for grease zerks.

Most here know that that won't work. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I'm not clear on how a greaseable bolt would prevent poly squeak. Grease would be between the bolt and bushing sleeve, not in the poly bushing itself, correct? I'm thinking a film of quality grease when the poly bushings are inserted should be sufficient.
My JKS poly front arms are greaseable. Have never noticed any squeak, but then the
C L U N K from my worn out drag link ends overpowers any other noises.. lol. Soon to be remedied.

That's why the bushing sleeves have to be drilled also!

It would work but I'm not sure drilling a hole in wrapped spring steel is structuraly a good idea.

Found greaseable bolts but M14 x 2.0 x 130mm instead of OEM 120mm (+0.4"). Will these work or will they bottom out you suppose?

Not a must have but I do like the idea of lubrication on the bolts/sleeves.

Last edited:
Off road design used to sale them but no clue on size

Yeah, looked there but appears to have only SAE sizes.

Found them at Mountain Offroad in M14 x 2.0 x 130mm (+.4").
$3/+ $10 machine charge, so $28 + shipping.

There will not be any interference due to length, but for the leaf spring bushing at the shackle, they'll stick out quite a ways past the shackle (stock already stick out a fair amount). Its no biggie, but just mentioning it.

You'll want to make sure that the unthreaded portion is no longer than 3", or else the bolt may run out of thread before its tight. I guess you could add washers at the head if that was an issue.

Yeah, looked there but appears to have only SAE sizes.

Found them at Mountain Offroad in M14 x 2.0 x 130mm (+.4").
$3/+ $10 machine charge, so $28 + shipping.

Do you have the part#, this is on my list following my SRB installation?

Got Mike at MORE on the phone. They have 130mm blanks in house but he'll call Fastenal to see if they have either 110 or 120. They have to be bored on CNC. He'll let me know what's available and I'll choose 110 if possible. IRO kits are 110 and I read here on the forum that OEM are 120mm which, as stated above, extend a good amount beyond the shackle mount on the XJ. So, it could be a week or more to get these but I'm just ordering the springs from IRO today probably, so not an issue on the bolts.

Mike did ask if I thought he'd sell a bunch of these and whether it might be something worthwhile to stock and add a p/n. I also read here that this size bolt is also used on control arms but can't confirm that. That would be another place to use them and might turn it into an in-stock item at MORE. Mike also said that when they do a greaseable bolt for a shackle bushing they also put the bushing sleeve in a drill press and make a hole in that to allow grease in the poly bushing. Hmm.. that might need clarification.

Then he called me back, suggesting 9/16" that they have in stock and will fit the slots, but I reminded him the thread pitch is not correct for the captured nuts inside the 'frame' so that's no go.. too easy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He'll call me when he has the info on 110 or 120 and get this done. If you want, I can order 2 sets and you can call him when you're ready for them. Might save you both some time.

One more thing: Mike says they recommend 30# torque on YJ spring hardware to allow movement. Seems to me factory spec is 115/85#, and 55# on axle u-bolts. Opinions?

Last edited:
You'll want to make sure that the unthreaded portion is no longer than 3", or else the bolt may run out of thread before its tight. I guess you could add washers at the head if that was an issue.

Got Mike at MORE on the phone. They have 130mm blanks in house but he'll call Fastenal to see if they have either 110 or 120. They have to be bored on CNC. He'll let me know what's available and I'll choose 110 if possible. IRO kits are 110 and I read here on the forum that OEM are 120mm which, as stated above, extend a good amount beyond the shackle mount on the XJ. So, it could be a week or more to get these but I'm just ordering the springs from IRO today probably, so not an issue on the bolts.

Mike did ask if I thought he'd sell a bunch of these and whether it might be something worthwhile to stock and add a p/n. I also read here that this size bolt is also used on control arms but can't confirm that. That would be another place to use them and might turn it into an in-stock item at MORE. Mike also said that when they do a greaseable bolt for a shackle bushing they also put the bushing sleeve in a drill press and make a hole in that to allow grease in the poly bushing. Hmm.. that might need clarification.

Then he called me back, suggesting 9/16" that they have in stock and will fit the slots, but I reminded him the thread pitch is not correct for the captured nuts inside the 'frame' so that's no go.. too easy. Correct me if I'm wrong.

He'll call me when he has the info on 110 or 120 and get this done. If you want, I can order 2 sets and you can call him when you're ready for them. Might save you both some time.

One more thing: Mike says they recommend 30# torque on YJ spring hardware to allow movement. Seems to me factory spec is 115/85#, and 55# on axle u-bolts. Opinions?

If I have to drill some I want the most amount of un-threaded shank I can get, I can cut the overall length as needed.

Back