NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old June 6th, 2019, 20:09
NAXJA Forum User

AW4 transmission hesitates going into reverse

Ok, guys, I have read a lot of forums and talked to people about my AW4 tranny. It hesitates going in to reverse when it has warmed up, when itís cold it does pretty good, maybe a slight hesitation. It seems like it slips from OD to 3rd a lot with regular highway driving shifts out fine. I havenít had the Jeep long. I unplugged the TCM, unlike I was told it should do it shifted through the gears with it unplugged. It did take an eternity for it to go in reverse though. I checked the TPS (not sure if that has anything to do with reverse) but I checked it. I have my 5v, now I heard the other 2 wires should be ground and .26v, I do have a good ground but the 3rd wire is .9v (no throttle). When I ease down on the throttle it has a good steady climb but stops at 3.9 which from what I read is dead bottom (it should be over 3.9). Leaving work today I taped up my brake switch, I think that fixed my OD to 3rd changing, not for sure, havenít driven it enough yet to know for sure. I havenít checked solenoids yet. Iím just confused on why I didnít have to manually shift it with TCM unplugged. The engine was cold when I did these tests, My TPM my be going bad. I just canít figure out why it takes so long to shift to reverse. Any help on what else to check please give me advice before I have to drop the tranny. Fluid looks great, I am going to go ahead and change it because I donít know what the previous owners used.
Old June 6th, 2019, 20:58
NAXJA Forum User

Re: AW4 transmission hesitates going into reverse

Check the throttle body to transmission cable for proper adjustment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdMGOVZ3QK8

The trans computer does not control reverse. Assuming you actually unplugged the tcm, it should have required shifting manually. If the brake switch is messed up, then it might have been locking and unlocking the torque converter (no downshifting from 4th into 3rd).
Old June 6th, 2019, 21:51
NAXJA Forum User

Yes, that is what I was thinking, the converter was unlocking. I didnít think the TCM would have anything to do with reverse. Thatís why I checked fluid first. So the cable can mess with reverse? The reverse issue has me stumped unless the trans is about to take a dump. I would think reverse is reverse, no logic to it, or could a solenoid cause that. I wonder about tightening the reverse band?
Old June 6th, 2019, 21:53
NAXJA Forum User

The cable affects the line pressure, so I would assume it could affect the engagement of reverse
Old June 6th, 2019, 21:53
NAXJA Forum User

I was the TCM was under glovebox. The only green plug? Maybe not? But it did shift out fine unplugged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 6th, 2019, 21:55
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, Iíll try to locate an adjustment procedure in the morning. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old June 6th, 2019, 21:59
NAXJA Forum User

Also, could it be a bad converter?
Old June 6th, 2019, 22:16
NAXJA Forum User

Not if it's acting fine in the forward gears.
Old June 7th, 2019, 05:37
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, drove it to work again this morning with the brake switch bypassed. Shifted out great. So I believe it was the switch causing the converter to lock and unlock constantly. Now to figure out the reverse issue. Wrong kind of fluid? Reverse band? What else would deal with reverse? Is there a solenoid for reverse?
Old June 7th, 2019, 05:40
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgw1995 View Post
Ok, drove it to work again this morning with the brake switch bypassed. Shifted out great. So I believe it was the switch causing the converter to lock and unlock constantly. Now to figure out the reverse issue. Wrong kind of fluid? Reverse band? What else would deal with reverse? Is there a solenoid for reverse?

It was idling a lot faster this morning than normal, all I did yesterday was bypass the brake switch and test TPS.
Old June 7th, 2019, 06:03
NAXJA Forum User

ADJUST THE CABLE!!!!
Old June 7th, 2019, 15:57
NAXJA Forum User

Ok, did the cable adjustment. Ran plunger all the way back pushed throttle all the way, guess what, it never went back in place, stayed back. Guess that means new cable?
Old June 7th, 2019, 23:26
NAXJA Forum User

Help please, TV cable adjustment didnít go back to home spot after I pushed throttle. I pulled a diagnostic test and it showed P0700 (transmission control system malfunction) P0720 (output speed sensor) and P1492 (battery temp sensor) it was unplugged. I erased all codes drove it around the block (not long) and now all I get is the P0700 code. TCM replacement or do I need to drive a bit more and see if the culprit shows back up?
Old June 7th, 2019, 23:44
NAXJA Forum User

P0700 is likely from disconnecting the trans computer or pulling the fuse. Sounds like cable is either stretched or broken.
Old June 7th, 2019, 23:58
NAXJA Forum User

Ya, but havenít disconnected in a couple days. Erased all codes. That is the only code that shows. My airbag light stays on though. No horn or cruise. Backup lights work though. Donít think thatís my issue though