• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 XJ

Pgw1995

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I’ve been absent awhile. I had a buddy call me with some issues. Haven’t went to check it out myself yet, told him this weekend. Anyhow, he has a 2000 XJ 4X4 4.0, he put a motor out of a 2001 XJ 2X4 in it. He said it run for a couple weeks but ruff, now it won’t do anything. He has tried different fuel rails, tried a different ECM and replaced the throttle position sensor, he is getting fuel to the fuel rail but doesn’t know how much pressure. I told him it doesn’t sound like a fuel problem to, sounds like firing issue but he doesn’t know how to check the firing because of the rail, not distributor. I also told him since it ran before but ruff to make sure his grounds are are still good and make sure he connected all of them. Before I go to lend him a hand I was wondering if one of you guys have went through this and could give us some advice on where to go? Also he doesn’t have a CEL on, but it hasn’t started. Thanks guys

Gosh, there are only a few hundred things that could be bad or wrong.
The one unusual thing that I have run across in the late XJs that have prevented them from starting was the cam synchronizer being out of time.
It needs to be in the right position to start and run correctly. Off a little bit, it will barely run and throw a lot of misfire codes, if it even starts at all.

The FMS for the 2000-2001 XJs shows the procedure using the 'toothpick' method of setting th cam synchronizer.
The process is a little involved and I suggest you get a copy of the FSM, if you do not already have one.
You can also search for this, it has been discussed on many forums hundreds of times .

This is the information I have from him

I've put about 300 miles on it in this Jeep.Is was idling ruff the day i pulled it in the shopNext day, won't hit a lick

I show to have fire and signals to the from PCM, Crank, cam , ignition coil, and injector's

50 psi fuel at the rail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though the cluster is not showing a CEL, was the PCM scanned for hard or stored codes?
Could be a big clue there (maybe the CEL bulb burned out).

Running rough then no start as lazyxj said could be a bunch of things.
Unfortunately its a PITA to check for spark with that stupid coil pack on the 2000's and 2001's.

A quick test.
I'd first find out if its spark or fuel by pulling the plugs to see what condition they're in immediately after cranking the engine for a short while.
If they're gasoline wet probably an ignition problem. If dry likely a fuel issue.
Then take it from there.

Lazyxj, thanks for the info. I never thought about using those and I’m an electrician by trade. Will definitely add one to shop. Won’t make it to his XJ till the weekend to help him out, but keep the info coming, maybe with you guys knowledge and me helping him test electrical, we can get him back up. Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, thanks here too lazyxj!
Gonna order one of those today.

With the old distributor/spark plug wire ignition, an ordinary timing light does the trick.

Back