• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code P1698 P1694 P0700 + Airbag light and Gauges on/off

thepdk

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 XJ 4.0L auto.
Jeep runs drives, and shifts fine. Recently all at once my dash went haywire.

The speedo and tach will go to 0, airbag light and check engine light will kick on the rest of the gauges will freeze. If i hit the dash or hit a bump just right every will return to normal, with the check engine light staying on.
I also lose power door locks when this happens.

I know there is a TSB about connectors behind the dash failing which I will look into but I don't get a "no bus" display on the odometer. I have also read that this is also a sign of the crank pos sensor going bad, however my jeep runs and starts just fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jeep runs drives, and shifts fine. Recently all at once my dash went
Any suggestions? Thanks!

Had had this demon occur a few times in my 2001. Two possible causes.

The connectors on the rear of the speedometer head get dirty.
Pull the head, butter the contacts with a little dielectric grease and reinstall.
Push it in and out a few time to help clean the contacts.

The other cause, and the one you are probably having, is found in bad contacts in a plug under the dash.
It can sometimes be temporally fixed by kicking your left foot up under the dash.
Looking under the dash, driver's side, far left, there is a big, white plug with a couple dozen wires entering it. It has a small bolt head in the middle.
Loosen the bolt and pull the plug apart. Butter the contacts with a little dielectric grease and push it together and apart a few times before tightening the small bolt.
Wiggle and push in on the plug while tightening, it can be tough to get it fully seated.

This plug, with so many wires in it, can be the cause of wide range of problems.
My '97 Dakota had the same plug, in the same place with the same problem. Chrysler knows how to build them.

P1698 Jeep - ECM Fault No CCD Message From TCM

Possible causes

- Faulty Engine control Module (ECM)
- Engine control Module(ECM) harness is open or shorted
- Engine control Module (ECM) cicuit poor electricl connection

The power door locks added to mix of symptoms suggest a short circuit affecting the PCM, or the TCU. Since the PCM runs all the instrument cluster gauges, the cluster issues add to the suspicion of wiring or OBD sensor issues. P1694 and 1698 combined are very often symptoms of a shorted Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Be sure to test the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Inspect the PCM wire plugs for corrosion and for loose or damaged wire plug pins. Check the ground terminals at G101 just below the coil (the TCM is grounded here.). Check for evidence of corrosion also.

I have never dealt with this issue, but I have gathered some information about it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63167

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_code_p1694_mean_for_a_2000_Jeep_Cherokee

P1694 Fault In Companion Module. No CCD/J1850 bus messages received at the power train control module (PCM) from the AisinWarner Transmission Control Module (TCM).

P1694 will set if no CCd bus messages are received from PCM for 20 seconds or invalid messages are received for 20 seconds.

Possible Causes
-Faulty TCM
-CCD Bus (-) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-CCD Bus (+) circuit open between PCM and TCM.
-Transmission CCD bus wiring damaged. (Wiring issues or a faulty TCM should be the first suspects)

P1698 No CCD Messages Received From PCM. Bus communication failure to PCM. A "Companion DTC" was set in both the ECM and PCM.

Possible Causes:
- Faulty Engine control Module (ECM)
- Engine control Module(ECM) harness is open or shorted
- Engine control Module (ECM) circuit poor electrical connection

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/p1698-no-bus-message-transmission-control-module-1359085/

When the CPS short circuits the engine computer (PCM) shuts down to prevent damage to itself. As a result, there is no communication (P1694).
Disconnect your crankshaft position sensor then put the ignition key in the on position. If the instrument cluster voltage and fuel gauges start to work once the CPS is disconnected, then you know the CPS or CPS wires are shorted and is the root cause of the codes. You can verify this by testing the CPS and checking continuity and voltage on the CPS wires.

P1694 Diagnostic Procedure

1. Using scan tool, clear TCM DTCs. Start engine and let idle for at least 2 minutes. Using scan tool, retrieve TCM DTCs. If DTC P1694 returns, go to next step. If DTC P1694 does not return, go to step 5.

2. Check instrument cluster gauges for proper operation. If fuel gauge and speedometer operate properly, go to next step. If fuel gauge and speedometer do not operate properly, see appropriate INSTRUMENT PANELS article.

3. Turn ignition off. Disconnect Gray PCM harness connector. PCM is located at left front of engine compartment. Disconnect TCM harness connector. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (-) circuit (White/Black wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, go to next step.

4. Measure resistance of CCD BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire) between TCM harness connector and Gray PCM harness connector. If resistance is more than 5 ohms, repair open in CCd BUS (+) circuit (Violet/Brown wire). If resistance is 5 ohms or less, replace TCM.

5. Conditions necessary to set DTC P1694 are currently not present. Inspect related wiring and harness connectors. See WIRING DIAGRAMS. Repair as necessary. If no problem is found, check for broken, bent, backed-out or corroded terminal pins. Check for chafed, pierced or partially broken wires inside insulation. Repair as necessary.

Last edited:
Thanks Tim!

If the CPS is failing, would my jeep still run, drive, start, etc just like normal? i'm having no run issues at all.

Jeep runs drives, and shifts fine. Recently all at once my dash went haywire.

The speedo and tach will go to 0, airbag light and check engine light will kick on the rest of the gauges will freeze. If i hit the dash or hit a bump just right every will return to normal, with the check engine light staying on.
I also lose power door locks when this happens.

I know there is a TSB about connectors behind the dash failing which I will look into but I don't get a "no bus" display on the odometer. I have also read that this is also a sign of the crank pos sensor going bad, however my jeep runs and starts just fine.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

I think you may have an issue with the TCM corrupting the CCD Bus. Note that the RKE module is on the CCD Bus which may account for not having power to your door locks.

Here's what P1698 is:

Symptom List:

P1698-NO BUS MESSAGE FROM TRANS CONTROL MODULE
P1698-NO BUS MESSAGE FROM TCM

Test Note: All symptoms listed above are diagnosed using the same tests.
The title for the tests will be P1698-NO BUS MESSAGE FROM
TRANS CONTROL MODULE.

When Monitored and Set Condition:
P1698-NO BUS MESSAGE FROM TRANS CONTROL MODULE

When Monitored: Equipped with automatic transmission, the ignition key on, engine running, transmission in drive, vehicle road speed and battery voltage greater than 10 volts.
Set Condition: No bus messages from the TCM for 10 seconds, two trips required.

P0700 indicates the PCM sees a defect has been set in the TCM. The TCM has its own diagnostics program and will set a DTC if it detects a problem with its circuits, but I don't think you have any TCM DTC's. The P0700 may only mean that it is not communicating with the CCD Bus.

As Tim suggested, clean the TCM & PCM grounds at the coil mount bracket. See pic.

97_98%20Coil%20Stud%20Grounds.jpg

Clear the codes and see if the problem comes back. If it does, check the health of your CCD Bus.

Refer to the schematic below.

The testing requires the use of a digital, manual, Volt/Ohmmeter.

First step is to see what the CCD Bus voltages are. The (+) and (-) voltages should be around 2.5 volts.

Turn the ignition switch to RUN, but do not start the engine.

At the DLC, touch pin cavity 3 (+) and pin cavity 4 or 5 (-). You should see around 2.5 volts.

Touch pin cavity 11 (+) and pin cavity 4 or 5 (-). Again, you should see around 2.5 volts.

If any of these voltage reading are out of spec, there's something wrong with the CCD Bus.

If a fault is seen above, remove the battery negative post connector.

Go back to the DLC. This time use your Ohmmeter.

Read between pin cavities 3 and 11. You should see 60 Ohms. If you see 120 Ohms one of the bus termination resistors is not in the circuit. Tap the top of the dash and see if anything changes.

If something is wrong doing the above tests, remove the connector from the TCM.

Recheck the CCD Bus voltages at the DLC. If the CCD Bus returns to spec voltages the TCM can be considered at fault.

Bus schematic:

DLC.jpg

Tell us what you find....

Typical genuine Jeep CPS service life is about 125-175,000 miles. The can simply fail and you have a no-start, or they can get heat sensitive and cause random stalling.

If the CPS is elderly, or you suspect it is faulty, it is good preventative maintenance to replace the CPS before you are stuck on the side of the road. Be sure to buy a genuine Jeep CPS.

I know this is an old post.. But I was wondering if the op ever got this fixed? I have the exact same symptoms on a 99. No start/stall issues.. Same codes.. Same clusters dropping in ad out and same malfunctioning door locks. If it were a different year, I would have thought that I bought your xj

The one thing that has all those connections in common is the engine to body harness connector at the rear of the cylinder head.

So far I have checked all grounds.. Removed the dash and cleaned and greased the connectors to the gauges. Gauge gets shows proper Function. I have disconnected the circuit in the dome light for wireless remote entry and checked and replaced fuses even if the looked good. Still can't figure out this issue. Door locks don't work, gauges are intermittent and the dome light stays on with light near feet and stereo. Rear window defroster won't turn off gauges stop working or freeze.. Turn signal.doesnt work. Check engine light goes off and air bag sensor comes on or vice versa.. I'm at a loss. New battery and new battery terminals. I just bought this truck and can't figure it out. Side note, the connector on the right side of the dash under the cluster was replaced by previous owner. I rewired and soldered all of his connections just to make sure his job wasn't shoddy.

The most common cause of random stalling and/or cranking with a no-start, is a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor.

If the Check Engine Light is ON, your Jeep is trying to tell you what is wrong. What Check Engine Light trouble codes are, or were, download on your trouble code reader device ?

You may have a combination of common but usually unrelated1997-2001 XJ Cherokee problems. The only thing that may make them related is a short circuit.

Failure of the drivers door and tailgate wire harness is very common. Since the power door locks are always "hot" a short circuit to another wire circuit, to the speaker wires, or simply to ground, can introduce 12 volts to other circuits. Disconnect the driver door wire harness and the tailgate wire harness from the main body wire harness to isolate any potential short circuits.

Instrument cluster drop out is common, if the Jeep runs while the cluster is off, there is a cluster wire plug issue unrelated to any running or stalling issues. If the cluster issues coincided with any runnign or stalling isuues suspect the Cam or Crank sensor, wiring issues, or very rarely PCM issues.

Turn signal switch assembly failure is somewhat common.

A faulty airbag clock spring will illuminate the airbag light, but the airbag light could be caused by a clock spring short circuit to ground in the Throttle Position Sensor circuit which would trigger CEL trouble codes.

Last edited:
Well, it seems upon disconnecting the keyless entry circuit board in the mini dome, fixed the intermittent gauge chaos.. At least for now. When I plug it back in, the gauges stop functioning normal. P1694 code pops up when connected. If disconnected, gauges seem to work, but the door locks, turn signals don't work and the rear defroster and door switch lights won't turn off. Even with key removed. But the air bag light goes off and Gauges seem to work, though code P1698 seems to come off and on. I don't have issues with starting or stalling. It runs and drives normal. Grounds have all been cleaned and tightened. C1 and c2 wiring checked and contacts cleaned and greased. Fuses all checked. Horn functions. None of it seems like it should be connected.. My brain hurts.

I have checked all wiring and grounds. Nothing seems chafed, cut or damaged. All grounds cleaned and tightened. Removed all interior panels headliner etc and found no issues.. I'm running out of ideas. Rear windhsiled wiper and defroster stay running. Door locks don't function just make noise. Clusters intermittent.. Turn signals and hazards don't work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

did you ever figure out your problem? i am having the exact same thing. but when i pull the fuse #22. which is for the rear wiper motor, all the things go back to normal. i haven't looked further into whats going on but mine only has the same symptoms when the temp out side is close to freezing.

I have checked all wiring and grounds. Nothing seems chafed, cut or damaged. All grounds cleaned and tightened. Removed all interior panels headliner etc and found no issues.. I'm running out of ideas. Rear windhsiled wiper and defroster stay running. Door locks don't function just make noise. Clusters intermittent.. Turn signals and hazards don't work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

..... having the exact same thing. but when i pull the fuse #22. which is for the rear wiper motor, all the things go back to normal.

Did you unplug the Remote Keyless Entry Module ?

You need to inspect the tailgate wire harness at and near the hinges and rubber boots.

Failure of the drivers door wire harness and tailgate wire harness is very common. Since the power door locks are always "hot", a short circuit to another wire circuit, to the speaker wires, or simply to ground, can introduce 12 volts to other circuits, including the CCDBus. Disconnect the driver door wire harness and the tailgate wire harness from the main body wire harness to isolate any potential short circuits and continue your diagnostics.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Did you unplug the Remote Keyless Entry Module ?

You need to inspect the tailgate wire harness at and near the hinges and rubber boots.

Failure of the drivers door wire harness and tailgate wire harness is very common. Since the power door locks are always "hot", a short circuit to another wire circuit, to the speaker wires, or simply to ground, can introduce 12 volts to other circuits, including the CCDBus. Disconnect the driver door wire harness and the tailgate wire harness from the main body wire harness to isolate any potential short circuits and continue your diagnostics.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I finally got some time to inspect the rear hatch harness. I found two wires with broken insulation. They didn't seem to be touching anything but I taped them with electrical tape. Sure enough this morning I had the same thing happen. Wipers running and rear defroster and fog lights on when I turn on the parking lights. What would disconnecting the rke module do?

Back