• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless entry on my 97

Camo-5

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I now know I have keyless entry on my 97. The problem is the Previous Owner didn't hand over any fobs. Since it's already wired for this option, can I find a matching module (pic below) and fob from a donor vehicle and just swap parts?

jeep001.jpg

What's the other side of that box look like? I don't have an IR receiver on mine (at least not sticking out, or in anyway obvious) and haven't had a chance to take it apart and see if I have the hardware under there already...

Just curious.

pepboys has them

You can pick up FOB's on Ebay, just make sure you get the correct one as they do vary.

Also, on '97s and up, the dealer has to program your new FOB's with a DRB scan tool. It's a dealer only type of set up, unless you have megabucks for a DRB scan tool...

I bought two eBay fobs for $10 a piece plus a little for shipping and took it to the dealer to program. They charged $40 and put new batteries in them. I think there was some sort of battery disposal fee too plus tax ran it to $45. It was well worth it to me.

Ok, so I now know I have keyless entry on my 97. The problem is the Previous Owner didn't hand over any fobs. Since it's already wired for this option, can I find a matching module (pic below) and fob from a donor vehicle and just swap parts?

Yes, if you can find the KRE receiver circuit board with matching fob from a '97 or '98 XJ, it will work in your '97. I did this in my '97 with the receiver and fob from a '98 XJ. The KRE receiver board is found in the overhead console; if no console, it's located in the mini-dome on a '97 XJ (as shown in your pic) or in the dome light on a '98 XJ.

I bought a used fob with the matching receiver board for $30 from a wrecked '98. I couldn't find a dealership locally that was willing to program my current receiver for a new fob for less than $45, and that didn't include the cost of the fob.

-Ed Rico

Back