• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

eBay / Amazon Power Steering Pumps: Yay or Nay?

TheInvisibleMan

NAXJA Forum User
So my P/S reservoir cracked and leaked all my fluid on to the ground while my XJ was parked at the airport for a couple weeks. I made it to a gas station nearby and bought some P/S fluid but by then the damage was done, it's never been the same since.

I now am faced with buying a pump with reservoir. Does anyone have personal experience with the aftermarket pumps sold online? I see there are a ton of used ones pulled from auto salvages but I feel like those are as much of a crapshoot as the new ones because they came into the yard wrecked (and for all I know could make a ton of noise). Would anyone care to weigh in on this?

I picked up mine on rockauto from Lares. They are here in the states vs cardone and a lot of others are overseas. Never had any issues. Most reman pumps are going to be a crap shoot with the exception of a PSC or redhead but those are $$.

If there is nothing wrong with your pump, why not just replace the reservoir ?

I've had good luck with Lares. They have grown and expanded, but back in the day, they were the place to go, rebuilds that worked.

One thing I liked about the old Lares is you could call and special order. I had them build me some fast ratio steering boxes. A little hard to get used to on the interstate. but just what you need in the woods.

Another vote for Lares.

IMO, big names or big bucks is no guarantee you'll get a good product. I've had two problem pumps straight from PSC.

Back