• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting to a open cooling system 89 cherokee

donald g

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard about this conversion and i would like to know what i need to do this to my 89 cherokee 4.0. the closed system it has , has been nothing but trouble. i replaced the radiator 2 years with a new one. it is the closed style. I read some where you can buy a tee that you cut and install in the upper rad hose and the tee has a regular radiator cap on it with a nipple to connect a overflow line to . and i also read somewher e that you can swap out the stock sealed radiator for a newer model radiator that has a filler neck and cap on it. can someone please give me some advise and guide me in the right direction. we have moved to nevada and i am worried about my wife and kids getting stuck somewhere with the jeep overheating again. thanks and hope to hear from you guys . Don email [email protected]. thanks.

I bought a new radiator from radiator barn. a new three core, for a 1992 jeep xj cherokee about 175.00 put in a new thermo and hoses and a new 4 way heater valve for a 1992 also keeps it nice and runs about 195 all the time I also have a 1988 had the same problem with the bottle and the hoses and it makes it easier to fill system. You only need a recovery bottle ,I put mine back where the old bottle was it was worth the money spent..:)

I did the whole thing - three core, which runs too cool for commuting, '92 thermo neck, which electrically spliced ok but the sensor is variable volt output and won't always kick in the fan relay, a '92 heater core valve, which requires a plastic adapter to convert hose sizing, and a Comanche overflow tank, that won't fit the driver's fenderwell - but does ok. The '90 wire loom is way bigger and it just won't screw down.

You must get the hose routing correct or lose 25* heater output.

Would I do it again? Only if I had known all that stuff, and the temp sensor still needs something like a 83 Chevette replacement - but that trips at 185* reportedly, still too cool. I only started the process because my factory plastic tank blew the neck off. I actually had more overheating problems directly after the conversion when I started delivering rural mail. It proved to be the thermo sensor not fully switching on, which is it's design - the Chryco OBD does the fan switching.

It's not just a "drop in a new radiator and go" kind of thing.

Back