• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze Plugs

SCupstateXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Someone please tell me that there is a freeze plug under the exhaust manifold around the # 1 and 2 pistons. If not, then I have a MAJOR problem. I noticed it running hot on the way home and stopped to see what was up. I am pouring antifreeze out from under the exhaust. I just got it home. Had to stop twice and let it cool down. I put 3 gallons of water in. Thank goodness I carry supplies for just such an occasion. It is not skipping or anything, and no water in the oil, so maybe I didn't hurt it too bad. Please tell me I didn't crack the block....

1990 Limited 4.0, 228,000 miles, AW4, NP 242, 4.5" RC lift, 33" Pro Comps, etc....

SCupstateXJ said:
Someone please tell me that there is a freeze plug under the exhaust manifold around the # 1 and 2 pistons. If not, then I have a MAJOR problem. I noticed it running hot on the way home and stopped to see what was up. I am pouring antifreeze out from under the exhaust. I just got it home. Had to stop twice and let it cool down. I put 3 gallons of water in. Thank goodness I carry supplies for just such an occasion. It is not skipping or anything, and no water in the oil, so maybe I didn't hurt it too bad. Please tell me I didn't crack the block....

1990 Limited 4.0, 228,000 miles, AW4, NP 242, 4.5" RC lift, 33" Pro Comps, etc....
There are actually 5 of them under the exhaust manifold. One probably just rotted out. See GoJeep's page for replacement.
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoWelshPlugs1.htm

Last edited:
great thread, that actually is helping me because I wanted to replace all of mine when I yank it and put the 258 crank in the 4.0

jeepcomj said:
when I yank it and put the 258 crank in the 4.0
Have fun with that bro. Which MJ this time?

the 89

the winter project will be re-timing and a 258 crank possibly cam/lifters.

I basically want more power out of it. because let's face it, I already decided against gas mileage by buying a 4.0.

way to hijack the thread! LOL! On topic, I had the same thing happen to mine a while ago. your gonna hafta pull the exhaust to get at those things, and as long as your in there doing it I would look at the rest of em too. No sense doing it again if you dont have to!

Thanks guys. As always, you've been a big help. While I'm in there I am going to replace the cracked exhaust manifold too. I just wish I could go more than 2 weeks without having to replace something. Gsues that is what you get for driving a 17 years old vehicle huh. LOL

That's what I keep telling the wife..... :D

I'm going to buy some PB Blaster in the morning and start spraying the manifold and exhaust bolts. Looks like my weekend at the lake is out the window now. Any other tips, tricks, or suggestions?

Don't spray the bolts if you are going to drive it before you take it apart. The lube can get in the threads, then carbonize, causing a worse sieze.

old_man said:
Don't spray the bolts if you are going to drive it before you take it apart. The lube can get in the threads, then carbonize, causing a worse sieze.
Mmm... Good to know. Thank You

Back