• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze Plugs

s7tech

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1990 xj and it has a leaky freeze plug in the case. Has anyone changed these with the motor still in the jeep. It looks like I can change them by removing the intake and header. I am going to give it a shot tomorrow morning any tips would be helpful. Thanks Danny

Well Danny yes you can get to all those on the drivers side of the block by removing the intake/exhaust and they are right out in the open. B U T there are freeze oplugs behind the flywheel/flexplate which can not be changed without removing the engine from the vehicle. SORRY! ! !

If you can get to the thing, it's possible (as long as you can remove all obstructions.)

You usually use a hammer and a punch to "tip" the thing in the hole, then pull it out with pliers. Make sure the machined inner surface of the hole is clean, take a new plug, and give the outer edge of the plug a light smear of RTV Black. Select a socket that just fits inside the plug, and use that to tap the plug into the hole.

You'll want to drive the plug until the lip is just flush with the surface of the cast boss - you can use a small metal block to accomplish this (or a strip of metal, backed with wood. DO NOT USE a plain wooden block, and DO NOT USE sheet metal backed with wood - both will deflect, and will not drive the plug in far enough!)

Another tip, if you happen to be doing this job with the engine out of the vehicle. I was replacing them on my inline six, on the engine stand. Got the two in the back on with no problem, as well as the rearmost driver's side plug. The next one's forward wouldn't go in straight, kept bending. Finally, I loaded the block in the back of my truck and took it to my engine guy. Stopped on the way to pick up some more plugs. He came out and knocked in the remaining four plugs in a couple of minutes. The reason, and he said he forgot to ask me when I called for advice, was too much bounce on the engine stand. With the block laying on it's side in the back of the Jeep, there was enough solid support for him to hammer them in with no problem.

Remove the old plugs, clean up the holes. If you can't get a hammer in there, you can freeze the new plug with something like liquid nitrogen:laugh3: , insert it and allow to expand. Seriously, I've used liquid air (oxygen/nitrogen mix) to install a core-plug behind a motor mount. I know you probably don't have access to liquid air, or nitrogen, but maybe your freezer will work, or maybe packed in dry ice, or sprayed with a CO2 fire extinguisher.:cool:

Back