• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TrackBar fabrication

supernatural

NAXJA Forum User
I looked into RE & JKS, and their prices are insane! So, I've been searching around and it looks like it could be made somewhat easy. The only problem is this will be a 'first time' fab for me, so i need some pointers.

What i've gathered is the track bar and drag link need to be the same length, and pretty much parallel to eachother to avoid bumpsteer and other quirks.

Does anyone have any pointers or tried and true ways to get this achieved? (besides measuring the drag link, i already know that ) If anyone has any pictures of their fabbed trackbar that would be great also.

Another thing, (retard newb trying to fab) i've seen people put bends in their trackbar and i've seen people run straight track bars. Whats the +'s and -'s about both?

What have you guys used on the axle end of the track bar? I'll be using a 5/8" heim at the "frame" mount

Thanks for all comments and any help / links / PICTURES anyone can provide!

My recomendation is that you shouldn't start your first fab project on something that if it fails could kill you. Try some nice rocker protection first.

Not trying to hassle you, but save your skin. If you don't already understand the issues about strength between a straigh bar and a bent bar, you are not ready to tackle a trackbar.

straight is stronger, but it often needs to be bent to clear all the other stuff down there.

study other designs very carefully, finalize in your mind how you're going to build it, then get a final opinion here on your materials/design, then build it and tack-weld it all together, then take it to a welding shop or an experienced buddy for the final welds for a couple bucks or beer.

ok, well i guess this is a good time to help out on the strength issues then. Maybe this thread will help people down the road for determining if they want to deal with death or if they can handle such a project.

In my opinion, when theres 2 bends in a stock TB, it has more of a chance to bend in 2 places, in the straight one it will "taco". If there is force pushing from the right say sliding off a sidehill into a rock it will be more prone to bending the double bent TB, correct?

I've seen MANY straight trackbars on comp rigs, and they seem to work well, am i wrong?

Ya gotta start somewhere, and with the deal of dealing with death, if i had reasons it will fail rather than just starting with rockers, i will know where to go, and what to do. Thanks Tom

Last edited:
The only reason for the bends in the trackbar are to clear the differential & line the trackbar up straight with the axle mount. If you have enough lift or clearance to run a straight bar without it hitting anywhere than go for it, but remember your suspension moves a lot & take careful measurements with the suspension fully cycled. I built my trackbar with DOM & bent it so that it just clears the diff.

Matt

botw30491.jpg

Good choice. I agree with Old_Man -- it's far better to develop your fabrication skills on things that are less life-critical.

The reason I am touchy about track bars is that I was driving on the elevated section of I-70 here doing 75 in rush hour when my track bar mounting bolt decided to exit. It almost took me with it. All of the sudden I had almost a full turn of the wheel before any response in the steering was seen. I'm a pretty burned out adrenaline junky, but that go my heart pumpint.

Back