• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Registration?

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
so why is this a new rule? this isn't a safty issue. I don't have plates, nor could i get plates.

please explain.

also, it should be put into the gloves/winch amendment that if using steel cable.

Last edited:
Hey Dan,

The registration part is not a new rule, it has always been there. The newly added items pertain to the welded tow hooks and the winch items. As far as the use of the steel cable on winches, I will discuss it with Rev if he wants to change the wording on that. Give me a ring if ya want.

Thanks,
Cheeseman-OUT!

so why is this a new rule? this isn't a safty issue. I don't have plates, nor could i get plates.

please explain.

You don't remember the years of sean rose with his "temp" tags?

mac ' :shocked: 'gyvr

Even if you have a synth cable, you still need gloves and a weight. Synth cables WILL snap back, no matter what you have read, but not as bad as steel.

Acceptable weights can be as simple as a jacket, tow strap, blanket, floor mat, etc. What we are trying to prevent is folkes that have a winch, but no idea how to use it safely.

Rev

FWIW it is a rule at Redbird that all vehicles either be plated or registered as OHVs. Indiana does NOT however recognize MI, IL or KY OHV registrations. At this time, OH is the only recognized OHV permit.

That's not to say people haven't ziptied their tow rig plates to their rigs, but the COs can and will check if you get stopped. It's a misdemeanor to have false & fictitious plates in Indiana.

if the vehicle is only used for offroad purposes, you are not required to have plates, or insurance in the state of illinois....

I will post the actual article soon

So ?

The Bylaws require that it has both. There is no question as to what IL law is.

So ?

The Bylaws require that it has both. There is no question as to what IL law is.
it does not effect me yet... But i plan on buying another car soon, and just letting the registration expire, and only trailering my jeep. its not worth it to put plates, and insurance on something that will rarely be driven...

You won't be wheeling at Redbird then. I hardly ever drive my XJ anymore, but it is still plated and I carry full coverage insurance on it.

It cost me a grand total of $300/year for license and bare-bones liability insurance for my 96.

..........and that's even telling the insurance man that I've got the Cleanest Rig in the MWC!

Well that is 300 you could use towards gas to get you to Harlan for the crawl, but then again yours is still street legal others are not.

So why in the world would we insure/register them?

when i do get around to it.... its going to be far from street legal.

Just like when I start my lancer for auto-x. its not going to have tags or insurance, because if i get pulled over in it... the ticket/tow/impound fees will be more then any plates or insurance...

Idk, maybe im the only one who does not put insurance/plates on cars/trucks/bikes that i dont drive on the road.

I can see insurance being a requirement. It's a CYA thing and if you don't have it and you need it..........well, that's your own fault.

As for registration, that's a case by case thing and I don't understand why it is required for those that don't need it. I think that when the bylaws were originally written, there were VERY few rigs in all of NAXJA that were not street legal. I can see how they didn't anticipate the growth and the crazy builds that have been dreamed up over the years. If it's not a street legal rig, I don't see the point of having valid registration on it.

Your not the only one! I got my xj from an accident tow! I own a towing and impound business, so all I have is a C.O.P from the police dpt. My rig never will hit the road because id have to go through a process to get a title for it, including a state inspection. So that means i would have to get it 100% road worthy first.The only time it would see the road is sitting in front of my shop or on the trailer.

agreed Sean. This is not a new rule, it is the same one that has been in place since the inception of the Midwest Chapter. As much as we would like to, we can not make a change that undermines what is in the National by-laws. We can add to the existing National by-laws for our chapter specific needs, but we can not take away from them.

This was just taken from the NAXJA National by-laws:

Section 3: Required Equipment for Event Participation
  1. NAXJA VERY HIGHLY recommends that all event participants have a CB Radio.
  2. NAXJA requires all listed items to be present, and available for use, for a vehicle to be permitted to participate in a event. Participants are expected to stow equipment and all other items within their vehicle in a safe manner, conscious of the effects of OHV use and possible shifting of items.
  3. NAXJA Safety Inspectors will use this list for safety inspections prior to any event. The Safety Inspector has final say in approval or rejection of any vehicle for event participation and may at anytime defer to a second event or club officer for additional ruling.
  4. NAXJA expects each event participant to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and for the roads and trails traveled for the event. NAXJA is not responsible for assuring an entrant's vehicle is legal for the roads and trails traveled in the event.

ohhh. see, now that you said that. but it made it sound like you had to have registration, and insurance....

and technically in the state of illinois, you do not need insurance or tags...

to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and for the roads and trails traveled for the event.

not sure of indianas laws, but since it says whats needed to be legal....

Back