NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old January 5th, 2018, 11:01
NAXJA Forum User

Re: New leaf springs

Another vote for Crown here, I have used them 2 times (on separates vehicles) and the held up very well.

Amazon was my source choice.
Old January 5th, 2018, 12:00
NAXJA Member #1145

Concur on Amazon. They are rapidly becoming an excellent source for parts. I just bought a brand new set of 4.5" RE lift coils for $60.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old January 5th, 2018, 17:56
NAXJA Forum User

New leaf springs

Years ago I bought a set of Crown “Up Country” leaves for my ‘96. I never had any issues. I later did an add-a-leaf lift on those springs. They held up well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old January 5th, 2018, 22:50
NAXJA Member

I bought these about 2-1/2yrs ago:

Crown Automotive 4886186AA Leaf Spring Assembly
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009X1YAZS/

They're supposedly equivalent to the UpCountry pkg springs.
Old January 6th, 2018, 12:08
NAXJA# 2091

Just buy them with bushings installed.

That is the easy part!!!

The hard part, almost impossible part is getting the old bolts out!!!

All the old bolts, not just the leaf spring ends.

Hand grenades do not work.

I've been working on one leaf spring removal since Before Hurricane Harvey.

The trick is shopping for the meanest impact wrench you can find, and grinder-cutting blade tool(s), cold chisel, safety glasses, and a case of PB Blaster LOL

Oh, a 5 foot 1-1/4" ID cheater pipe, hydraulic lift, and a 3/4" breaker bar with 3/4" impact sockets.

And a TORCH!!!!!

I spent more on Tools than I did the leaf spring, LOL.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091
Old January 6th, 2018, 18:40
NAXJA Member #1145

Yep, that last fellow isn't kidding. It took me 60 hours of effort to lift my son's 97, half of which was the leaf spring bolts. I still haven't put in the shackle relocation brackets, because I haven't addressed the upper shackle bolts yet.

I'm letting the springs settle in... Yeah, that's the ticket...
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
Old January 6th, 2018, 22:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Just buy them with bushings installed.

That is the easy part!!!

The hard part, almost impossible part is getting the old bolts out!!!

All the old bolts, not just the leaf spring ends.

Hand grenades do not work.

I've been working on one leaf spring removal since Before Hurricane Harvey.

The trick is shopping for the meanest impact wrench you can find, and grinder-cutting blade tool(s), cold chisel, safety glasses, and a case of PB Blaster LOL

Oh, a 5 foot 1-1/4" ID cheater pipe, hydraulic lift, and a 3/4" breaker bar with 3/4" impact sockets.

And a TORCH!!!!!

I spent more on Tools than I did the leaf spring, LOL.
lol
im reading this scratching my head wondering why you have not gotten like 6 different sized drill bits and just removed it that way....
just my 2cents
Old January 7th, 2018, 07:44
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3fan View Post
lol
im reading this scratching my head wondering why you have not gotten like 6 different sized drill bits and just removed it that way....
just my 2cents
Why complicate it? He has everything he needs.

I'm just wondering why he didn't already have the tools.
Old January 7th, 2018, 09:43
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Why complicate it? He has everything he needs.

I'm just wondering why he didn't already have the tools.
Tools, I use my head (best tool I have) most of the time, LOL, worked for 45 years. But I rarely, until now do this kind of work. I am not, or at least have not been into welding and cutting, metal fab work. That seems to be changing.

But this time a 5 foot cheater pipe and 3/4" breaker bar using a hydraulic floor jack to push the cheater pipe and the jeeps weight on the other end with a weak of PB Blaster soaking did nothing to loosen the bolts.

Two super heavy duty 3/4" impact wrenches (one 600 ft lb that broke down and bought) and one huge IW-BRUTE that my friend uses for larger industrial bolts on power transformers both got laughed at by the bolts after 15 minutes of beating on them. I was shocked the bolts did not break or break the welded nut up the tube frame (god forbid).

There are 2-3 write ups on the how and why you need a cutting torch and a grinder to cut the spring off, then the eye of the spring off (3/8" tick plate), then the outer steel bushing, then the rubber bushing off, then you need to chisel the inner bushing split open, and then soak the bolt/sleeve in PB Blaster tell you get the inner steel sleeve loose from the bolt. The inner steel sleeve rusts and welds itself to the bolts. The rear bolt you can just cut off both ends (the lower shackle bolt to bushing anyway) but even then you still have to deal with the remaining uncut ends stuck in the frame box holes.

The high risk on the front bolt is breaking the weld on the front nut that is inside the frame tubing. Or having the bolt break with out getting the bolt/thread out of the nut!!!

Only way we ever got the nut off the rear bolt was getting it cherry red hot for 4-5 minutes to break the rust weld/bond. Still never got the bolt to rotate inside the sleeve thus could not tap it out, finally just had cut the thing into 3-4 pieces to get it out.
Using that torch 3-4 inches from a full gas tank is fun. Always say your prayers first boys LOL

I am Still trying to get the front inner split ring off the front bolt.

Plan to try again today if the weather holds up and I have time. The problem is that even if you get the bolt loose from the hidden unreachable nut in the frame tubing, the now fully exposed inner steel sleeve is stuck to the bolt, and rotating the bolt just bends and damages the box that holds the spring bushing assy, until you get the inner bushing steel sleeve loose to rotate and slide on the bolt.
34 MPG , '85 2WD Cherokee Pioneer with custom installed, 64 hp, 2.2 L Nissan SD22 Diesel 5 spd Manual; & 4 Renix XJs, '87 Wagoneer 4.0, 4WD, 89-Cherokee, 4WD, '87 Cherokee 2WD, & '89 Cherokee Pioneer 2WD, all 4dr. #2091

Last edited by Ecomike; January 7th, 2018 at 09:47.
Old January 7th, 2018, 09:45
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
lol
just my 2cents
You are joking right?

I guess I could have prayed real hard that bolts removed themselves LOL.
Old January 7th, 2018, 22:29
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
You are joking right?

I guess I could have prayed real hard that bolts removed themselves LOL.

So just to confirm.
you are talking about removing the sleeves from the axle bushings ?
or removing the 13/16ths grade 8 bolts that go through them ?

for the bushings.
I drilled my sleeves out with 6 different coablt drill bits....

My rear bolts were originally stuck.
I took an angle grinder to them and literally sat there until there was no nut left. and then pushed the bolt out...

no silly prayer here. action.
Old January 8th, 2018, 07:22
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
So just to confirm.
I think he was pretty clear that he's talking about the leaf spring bolts- which BTW are M14, not 13/16"...
Old January 8th, 2018, 07:53
NAXJA# 2091

Axle bushings????

No, the bushings in the end of the leaf springs, on the rear of the XJ.

I am talking about removed the two main leaf spring bolts in ends of the leaf spring. And the U-bolts that attach the middle of the leaf to the axle had to be cut off too.

How did you drill sleeves out with the bolt in there? And why?

If I understand what you are saying, you got lucky, as cutting the nut off does not solve having an inner steel sleeve rust-welded to the entire length of the bolt!!! There is no "just pushing it out." of the sleeve.

And you can not cut off the nut on the front bolt, it is not accessible, it is hidden in the frame rail, welded to the inside of the frame.

The spring was broken, the main leaf spring snapped in two right at the axle. There was no saving or reusing the leaf spring or bushings.

I litteraly had to destroy, cut off, piece by piece, step by by step the front spring loop, then the outer steel ring on the rubber bushing, the had to cut and remove the rubber, that after 30 years was still like new under the out steel tube I cut off, then you must use a steel chisel and PB blaster and a BFH hammer to open up and unweld the inner steel tube off of bolt. Then if you are lucky heat the hell out of the bolt, and using PB blaster, try and get the bolt (front bolt) to turn with out breaking the weld on the nut in the frame that it is so in love with.

Quote:
So just to confirm.

for the bushings.
I drilled my sleeves out with 6 different coablt drill bits....

My rear bolts were originally stuck.
I took an angle grinder to them and literally sat there until there was no nut left. and then pushed the bolt out...

no silly prayer here. action.
Old January 8th, 2018, 07:54
NAXJA# 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
I think he was pretty clear that he's talking about the leaf spring bolts- which BTW are M14, not 13/16"...
Thanks, I thought I was making myself perfectly transparent, LOL.
Old January 8th, 2018, 12:13
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Thanks, I thought I was making myself perfectly transparent, LOL.
Yes, that and how he said he "just pushed the bolt out" after it was apparently seized, seems he may have been dipping into the "medicinal" marijuana too much.

That, or there is a huge language barrier.