• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wide chain kit... just curious.

Mr. mud

NAXJA Forum User
Considering getting another 231 case and putting a wide chain kit and sye in it. Just wondering if I just have to change the chain and gears, or if I also need a 231d case half as well. My friend at the trans shop says I do, but I haven't heard any mention of that in any of the wide chain kit threads. I want to get all the parts together and do this in one sitting instead of tearing the case down and finding that I have to order a case half.

just need the chain and sprockets
JB conversions has everything you need

Check your salvage yards and see if you can find a cheap NP231D.

Yeah joe, thats what I was planning on doing, maybe just swap out for the six pinion planetary too. build one case out of two or three maybe.

Frankencase! I like it!

There's a difference in gear cut between NP231s in early XJs and later ones, the split is somewhere around 1992, IIRC. Putting gears from one into a case from the other makes some racket. I'd suspect that the same applies to NP231Ds as well.

I do believe there's a light truck case that's stronger than the NP231D - the NP231DHD. I don't know how different the two are (gotta open a channel with New Process/New Venture Gear still,) but it should be findable in the late W-series and BR-series 4WD. Probably the 3/4-ton and 1-ton variants. I'd have to check my notes to be sure.

Back