• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intro + Tech | 2000 XJ | Long Distance Purchase

BrokeOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so I’m combining my intro post with a tech post. (Shoot me).

I'm in Virginia and found what I consider a great deal on a clean, stock XJ with the 4.0 which is exactly what I wanted to start my project. The kicker was, it was $1000 and located in the Outer Banks of NC. Luckily I have family down there and sent them to look it over before purchasing.

Owner stated everything works great with many things replaced maintenance wise. He started to notice white smoke from exhaust and immediately stopped driving it.

my research tells me that it’s most definitely head gasket at minimum but more than likely also the notorious 2000 model crack in the cylinder head between 3 & 4.

im having it towed to a reputable shop there and having the head and head gasket replaced even if the head doesn’t need it yet (this is my logic if they are prone to cracking may as well replace even if it hasn’t cracked yet while doing the same labor for the head gasket, am I wrong?)

My main question is: when purchasing the new cylinder head, are all of the replacement heads going to land me in the same boat with being prone to cracking or do I need to specify to the shop to get me the head with the thicker walls? (If so, which one do I tell them to grab?)

Once she’s done at the shop, I’ll be starting the build with 33x12.50s on 15x8 wheels and a 4.5 short arm lift for now.

Anyways, sorry for mixing an intro post with a tech post but I’m not typing up 2 posts to get started haha. My bad!

I’d post a picture but apparently this particular forum doesn’t allow you to use attachments or edit posts until a few posts are made I’m assuming. I’ll edit original post when my restrictions are lifted lol

You need to get the "equivalent" of a "Tupy" head. As far as pics go, you need a "hosting" site.

For a stock 0331 replacement head, you want a 2000 - 06 TJ Wrangler or 1999 - 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee donor. These will have the improved crack resistant 0331 TUPY cylinder head. There are some new aftermarket 0331 heads also.

standard.jpg

Not all non-TUPI 0331 heads crack. No one knows what percentage of the original 0331s crack, all you hear is about the one that did crack.
I have had two 0331 heads rebuilt in the past, both with 130,000+ miles. Magnfluxing showed both to be crack free and both are still in use.
A high mileage, crack free head should continue to be so unless severely overheated.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Hopefully you have deep pockets, the 00-01' is the hardest to lift specially to 4.5". I suggest doing a lot of research before diving in.

Not all non-TUPI 0331 heads crack. No one knows what percentage of the original 0331s crack, all you hear is about the one that did crack.
I have had two 0331 heads rebuilt in the past, both with 130,000+ miles. Magnfluxing showed both to be crack free and both are still in use.
A high mileage, crack free head should continue to be so unless severely overheated.

I believe I fall in that category with my '00. I know from when I did my valve cover gasket that it is a 0331 head, not a TUPY, but being the third owner no idea of it is original or not. Have about 167K on her at the moment.

In travels I have sourced two TUPY heads to have in "stock" just in case. One I got for free from an '04 TJ that had a lower end knock and the other from an '04 WJ that had a busted piston top for $50. They could be usable as is, could be rebuilt, or could be doorstops. Will find out if and when the time comes.

Hopefully you have deep pockets, the 00-01' is the hardest to lift specially to 4.5". I suggest doing a lot of research before diving in.

Please explain further.

Other than swapping in a high pinion D30 from a 1998 ( which some say is optional ), my 2000 lift went just fine, no extra effort or extra parts required.

Please explain further.

Other than swapping in a high pinion D30 from a 1998 ( which some say is optional ), my 2000 lift went just fine, no extra effort or extra parts required.

The LP D30 is one of main the problems. They usually have more rear driveshaft issues too.

I have a 98 I swapped in a LP D30. I am at 4.5 lift. I do not have issues. So, I'd ask where the info comes from? I do have an '00 at 260K. I think original head. I don't see any issues with it. Still, I have seen two of the heads crack. There are a few things I like about the 2000. I am in the process of a 2" lift. Also, you could swap in an earlier HO head. Then do the Viper Coil swap. Then headers.

Back