• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lap top repairs

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
I got a free sony vio thats about a year old but the charger plug on the laptop is broken so Id like to fix it and get a better battery anyone on naxja do this type of work or can point me where

Gerr said:
I got a free sony vio thats about a year old but the charger plug on the laptop is broken so Id like to fix it and get a better battery anyone on naxja do this type of work or can point me where

Is it the plug on the laptop proper, or just the power supply? If it's just the power supply, APC and Targus make "universal" power supplies that should work. Batteries are also available from APC (and a few other vendors - if you're Google-Fu isn't up to scratch, I can probably find a few for you. If you give me the model number - if you want me to help you - I can probably do a better job of finding sources...)

That's really not that hard to repair. The biggest challange is getting the logic board out. Sony is pretty stingy with publishing disassembly instructions, but with some time on Google you can probably find them. You'll need to source a power connector--eBay is a good place to start. It will probably cost you, with shipping, around $10.00.

You'll need a soldering iron (15 watt) with sharp tip, a static-free work area, solder sucker and solder wick, and some fine rosin-core solder. Remove logic board from computer, desolder broken power connector (don't burn solder pads), and solder in the new one. Reassemble and test. Easy!

mecompco said:
That's really not that hard to repair. The biggest challange is getting the logic board out. Sony is pretty stingy with publishing disassembly instructions, but with some time on Google you can probably find them. You'll need to source a power connector--eBay is a good place to start. It will probably cost you, with shipping, around $10.00.

You'll need a soldering iron (15 watt) with sharp tip, a static-free work area, solder sucker and solder wick, and some fine rosin-core solder. Remove logic board from computer, desolder broken power connector (don't burn solder pads), and solder in the new one. Reassemble and test. Easy!
good to know im gona have to look into it

When you say Logic board, you mean mother board?
Also I have an HP that has the same problem. How would I find the part number for mine?

Back