• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Elec Fan A/C

Mike from Chile

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Guys,

Question on a XJ classik 4.0 year 2000
¿should the elect fan (plastic) work as soon as the A/C is turned on?

With very warm weather, 30ºC, engine working for 10 minutes with A/C on ¿should it been working anyway, don't it?

When I remove the sensor it starts working. I also check by taking fuse off, but it doesn't start.
It is at official service now, but they say it is working normaly starting functioning at 106ºC (a bit over water boiling temp)
Thanks.

The electric fan, besides turning on when your engine temp gets above a certain degree, will also run whenever the A/C compressor is running.

When the sensor is disconnected, the electric fan will also run.

i know that on my 97 whenever the A/C pump is turned on, the electric fan turns on continuously until i turn the A/C off then it comes on only intermitantly to assist the mech fan. If you pull the sensor that will turn the elec fan on by default, a good way to check it.

for 2000, 2001 xj's

Electric cooling fan 4.0L:​
With or without A/C request the electric fan will come on only when the coolant temperature is at least 106° C (223° F), and will remain on until the coolant temperature drops to 103° C (217° F) or below. Regardless of coolant temperature,
When air conditioning system pressures reach 2068.5
6 138 kPa (300 6 20 psi) the electric
fan will engage and continue to run until the A/C system pressure drops to 1620.3 kPa (235 psi) minimum, then the electric fan will shut off.

Back