• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pumps don't last

greenlawnjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
On my 96XJ, the oem water pump lasted 62K miles. 1st replacement lasted 29K miles and the 2nd replacement lasted 36K miles. That was a Bosch. So at 127K miles, I'll be on the 4th pump. I'm careful not to over tighten the serp belt. Where can I get a better pump? Thanks, Fred

I had two factory originals go out so far. One at 163,000 and one at 215,000. Still running one at 211,000. Not sure what would cause such short life. I would assume belt tension but if you're on top of that then i don't know. Have you done a flush? Do you use distilled water? Also when they go is it the bearings that go?

I had two factory originals go out so far. One at 163,000 and one at 215,000. Still running one at 211,000. Not sure what would cause such short life. I would assume belt tension but if you're on top of that then i don't know. Have you done a flush? Do you use distilled water? Also when they go is it the bearings that go?

Damn, maybe I should back off the next one and give it more "slack." This last one went all at once, wasn't dripping. Pulley has a wobble and that's where it leaked out. Wife was out in it, less than 2 miles from home. I went there with 7 -1 gallon jugs. Filled it up and drove home, stopped 4 times to top it up. Yup, I do hose and AF changes about every 4 yrs. Thanks.

Bosch is the best water pump out there. Gotta be over tightening the belt. You say the oem pump failed in 62 K, was that the one came with the jeep when it was new? Or the first time you replaced it.

With the 2nd pump dying, all with failed seals, I invested in FlowKool. That was over 100K miles ago. It failed a couple of weeks ago with a worn out bearing.

Ya I think NAPA hoses are also Gates. And the metal heater hose tube is a repackaged Dorman. I have a NAPA less than half a mile from me. Been using their parts for 25 years without any issues so I stick with them. Just sucks when I can get the same stuff cheaper from Amazon and I even get a discount at NAPA. I like to try and support local businesses but when money is tight I just can't. I still go there if I need something like right away though. And most of the time it's only a few dollars difference anyway. Except when I bought a cat for my van there it had a walker part number. I paid like $175 and then realized after I could have gotten it from Amazon for $100.

I seem to get better than 100k out of water pumps since I've been using Dexcool and distilled water.

With the green stuff and DI water the prior vehicles ('84 Jeep, '85 chevy) would only get about 35k per pump.

Just one owner's experience though.

Knock on wood, I'm still on the original OEM water pump, at 198,000 miles. All runs cool and great, but I know its time will come....until then, meh....

I seem to get better than 100k out of water pumps since I've been using Dexcool and distilled water.

With the green stuff and DI water the prior vehicles ('84 Jeep, '85 chevy) would only get about 35k per pump.

I thought Dex Cool was the kiss of death to your cooling system, that was the talk years back. I had a lot of slop in the pully and there was no hint of leakage till it leaked out suddenly. I will monitor the slop now more closly. 35k miles is 5 years for me so if i still have the vehicle then, I'll just change out.

Hate to mention it, but I have an '85 S10 Blazer 2.8 with 97K original miles with original WP and starter. Last year it needed Radiator and heater code which I replaced.

Ya I think NAPA hoses are also Gates. And the metal heater hose tube is a repackaged Dorman. I have a NAPA less than half a mile from me. Been using their parts for 25 years without any issues so I stick with them. Just sucks when I can get the same stuff cheaper from Amazon and I even get a discount at NAPA. I like to try and support local businesses but when money is tight I just can't. I still go there if I need something like right away though. And most of the time it's only a few dollars difference anyway. Except when I bought a cat for my van there it had a walker part number. I paid like $175 and then realized after I could have gotten it from Amazon for $100.

While I'm on the 2nd CC on my 96, I have a new Walker one that I paid about $50 net a few years ago. Used a AA $40 off coupon code + a walker rebate. Also got the same deal on one for my '91 Nissan that still has its original.

I thought Dex Cool was the kiss of death to your cooling system, that was the talk years back. I had a lot of slop in the pully and there was no hint of leakage till it leaked out suddenly. I will monitor the slop now more closly. 35k miles is 5 years for me so if i still have the vehicle then, I'll just change out.

That was my read on the stuff.

I ditched it on both The Bride's Impala and the Suburban. In those I am running Quantum Blue HP Gold. It seems to have improved water pump life in the Impala, and that is an important detail in that car. The distributor is right underneath the water pump.

That was my read on the stuff.

I ditched it on both The Bride's Impala and the Suburban. In those I am running Quantum Blue HP Gold. It seems to have improved water pump life in the Impala, and that is an important detail in that car. The distributor is right underneath the water pump.
So you have Blue an Gold antifreeze Lol .

Back