• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Say NO to Lowe's hardware.

Weekender

NAXJA Forum User
Put a new trackbar on the 2001 xj and needed a new M10x1.5x73 10.9 bolt. Put an M10 8.8 in temporarily but didn't torque it to the 74ft/lbs spec. Just about 60ft/lbs.
Drove it for a day but wanted the proper 10.9 rated bolt.
Got one at Lowe's, and it snapped in half on the threads while torquing it. Got really lucky and was able to fish out the flag nut with the broken piece. No more Chinese hardware from Lowe's. Going with high quality next time.

Ive never had luck finding anything at lowes in a 10.9. I usually get mine at the local ACE Hardware.

Restored a 98 xj in 2016 and spent extra on all the "good stuff" for it.... I went through 2 a.c. compressors, 3 alternators, 2 water pumps, 3 thermostats and 3 heads and now it pings in 4th unless I use premium fuel. The cheapness epidemic is way beyond just Lowes

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My dad's house, which is at the moment my closest garage I can use, has a Lowe's a couple blocks away, but damn do I hate going there. Menards has a WAY better selection, and I have a few Ace hardware stores close to me which always have what I need aside from 10.9 leaf spring bolts.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Ended up remembering there is a Fastenall just a mile from work and found good quality bolts there. Also fixed the flag nut.

Weekender

Remember; Lowe's is just a Bed Bath and Beyond that happens to sell plywood.

I've had good luck getting Metric hardware(and American) from PepBoy's.

Put a new trackbar on the 2001 xj and needed a new M10x1.5x73 10.9 bolt. Put an M10 8.8 in temporarily but didn't torque it to the 74ft/lbs spec. Just about 60ft/lbs.
Drove it for a day but wanted the proper 10.9 rated bolt.
Got one at Lowe's, and it snapped in half on the threads while torquing it. Got really lucky and was able to fish out the flag nut with the broken piece. No more Chinese hardware from Lowe's. Going with high quality next time.

The 2001 FSM says the torque should be 40 ft-lbs. I think Haynes and the older FSMs say 74 ft-lbs. Although 40 is within the recommended torque for a lubed M10x1.5 bolt in 10.9 grade, I don't think that provides enough clamping force.

So the bolt is undersized to begin with, and when you combine that with overtorquing and poor quality chinesium bolts...

I've had good luck getting Metric hardware(and American) from PepBoy's.

My local PB's hardware selection is always screwed up, with most everything piece in the wrong tray and usually out of the nut or bolt I need.

The death of the local hardware store is an American tragedy, the Home Depots and Lowes killed them.
Luckily McMaster-Carr always has the needed pieces and, since it's local, normally delivers overnight.

My local PB's hardware selection is always screwed up, with most everything piece in the wrong tray and usually out of the nut or bolt I need.

Sounds like our local Lowes to me. My biggest complaint is their shelf facing policy to never leave an empty spot on the shelf. I don't know how much time I've wasted staring at the shelf only to figure out they're out of stock and they filled the empty space by filling it with the next item over.

I usually get bolts at the local Ace franchise, who has a much bigger and higher quality selection. Or the local farm and home.

Duplicate post.

Last edited:
McMaster or MSC Direct if you have time, Fastenal if you don't. Anything Chinese can be considered counterfeit hardware, as I've stated many times before (I've given the buyer for OSH a royal earful over hardware origin before - because of /their/ Chinese crap. They're stocking Crown now, which is somewhat better..

The 2001 FSM says the torque should be 40 ft-lbs. I think Haynes and the older FSMs say 74 ft-lbs. Although 40 is within the recommended torque for a lubed M10x1.5 bolt in 10.9 grade, I don't think that provides enough clamping force.

So the bolt is undersized to begin with, and when you combine that with overtorquing and poor quality chinesium bolts...

Good to know! I went to 60ft/lb with the Fastenall bolt and left it there.
Now to replace the door strap and find suitable hood vents. The XJ is black and it will be in the 90s here when our month of Spring is over.

Weekender

Don't know if you ever watch this guys videos. Informative and entertaining. Posted just hours ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPAbUZABcu0

Entertaining, but too many variables to be a great test of bolt strength. The surface finish, any oiling, and and quality of the threads have an impact on torque to failure testing. Lower quality threads end up taking more torque to stretch the bolt to the failure point. I'm curious if if ever did the stretch testing he promised.

We have a new Orchard Supply in the neighborhood. I needed a flange bolt for the trans mount and went to O'Rielly's to get one and they sent me to Orchard. I thought "Yeah, Right" but the had exactly the bolt I needed.

Back