• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Cherokee 4.0 cps

Connersmith6

NAXJA Forum User
Before I start I want to say I have read though a ton of forums and cannot find the right part number. I bought a Cherokee to turn into a trail rig and have been replacing crank position sensors. The Napa sensor I put in causes a misfire and sometimes a stall, I went and got a Mopar 56027280. The sensor is the only one showing up on the computers so I figured I’d give it a shot, it is a single bolt where I took a two bolt sensor out. The sensor does not fit and was wondering if anyone knew the proper part number for the two bolt sensor, thanks.

1996 is the transitional year from OBD-I to OBD-II. Numerous changes were implemented during the production year. Early production 1996's look more like 95's and later production 1996 look more like 97's When buying sensors, you should compare the sensor you have to a 1995 and a 1997 sensor. Be sure to buy genuine Jeep sensors.

Last edited:
As with all sensors for that year(96) make sure the plug is the same as you take off. Some are square,oval,round pins or flat pins....ask me how I know....

Before I start I want to say I have read though a ton of forums and cannot find the right part number. I bought a Cherokee to turn into a trail rig and have been replacing crank position sensors. The Napa sensor I put in causes a misfire and sometimes a stall, I went and got a Mopar 56027280. The sensor is the only one showing up on the computers so I figured I’d give it a shot, it is a single bolt where I took a two bolt sensor out. The sensor does not fit and was wondering if anyone knew the proper part number for the two bolt sensor, thanks.

Mopar 56027280 is the CPS for a 96 YJ w. auto. From the parts manual, the correct Mopar p/n for your 96 XJ is 56026921.

I would recommend using rock auto. I no longer use autozone, advance or napa stuff because although they will work... they don't work well. Even if your not picky I'm sure you will not be happy about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Alright so 3 sensors later (autozone,NAPA, now Mopar) and it still has a miss. Runs a lot better with the mopar CPS but still misses, it’ll run fine one time you crank it, next time it won’t( usually once it’s warm). I’ve put in new plugs, wires, and complete distributor but still no luck, any ideas? Thank you guys for the help!

Now that I'm re-reading this, I think we need more info... Is there a idiot-engine light on? Even intermittently? If so, have you pulled any codes? I've seen/heard/experienced 4.0 H.O. misfires caused by everything from a bad CKP sensor to an oil-soaked CMP sensor to a bad pre-caf O2 sensor to low fuel pressure...

There is no check engine light on that I’ve ever seen, it will not show any codes. I will check the sensors and eliminate that, also check fuel pressure. The core is busted out of my cat and just rattles around in the bottom of it, would that cause any issue with the 02 sensor? I can’t stand the way the 4.0 sounds straight piped so if that’s a possible issue I’ll go get it replaced.

There is no check engine light on that I’ve ever seen, it will not show any codes. I will check the sensors and eliminate that, also check fuel pressure. The core is busted out of my cat and just rattles around in the bottom of it, would that cause any issue with the 02 sensor? I can’t stand the way the 4.0 sounds straight piped so if that’s a possible issue I’ll go get it replaced.

If that rattling core is of such a shape that it could cork the outlet of the cat it might be able to cause issues. Additionally, if pieces of it have managed to plug up the muffler that too could pose a problem.

The O2 sensor should not create this problem. The most it should do is throw a code for inefficient performance of the catalyst. It would be the upstream O2 that would be driving the fuel mixture.

First want to thank you guys for the help so far, got to work on it yesterday with no luck. Cam and crank are both new mopar, good fuel pressure, new cat and o2, anddddd she still misses. I’ll drive it and it’s fine with only a few misfires, then next time it may run fine or be undriveable. Don’t really want to start chasing back the harness but looks like that’s what it has came to, any other ideas?

same problem i was having. same year, too. im not 100% sure, but i think cleaning the grounds is what fixed mine. but mine was throwing a different code everytime i checked it.

Back