• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken AC line coupler

markwhite

NAXJA Forum User
I had the coupler on one of my AC lines break and every time I think I found the right number for it, it comes back discontinued. It isn't a normal coupler, it has a valve inside. The line runs from the expansion valve to the drier, all the pictures show the line running from the expansion valve to the condenser, it may be dealer installed air because I can only find factory installed pictures. Does anyone know what this is called or the part #? It is a 1990 Jeep Cherokee Laredo with a 4.0, the drier in the pic with the enlarged bubble, is a pic of a newer drier, not off my 1990, it's just to show where it goes.

18835723_10207270647642724_1642843515659905500_n.jpg

18835581_10207270595001408_2111033003139289789_n.jpg

Yeah, it's some kind of odd coupler that has a some kind of quick disconnect inside. The other half is inside the fitting still attached to your drier. The guts look like this.

ac_0039Small.jpg

Just take the center parts out and remove the broken part from the hose fitting and attach it directly.

The part numbers are:

J317 1795 COUPLING, Female

J317 1794 COUPLING, Male

Interesting those are listed as going to the condenser in my parts catalogue but were the only coupler I could see in the diagram that looked right.

In the oem diagram it looks like the hose might have the couplers but the aftermarket parts don't have them.

I was going to suggest checking ac supply places cause the auto supply stores on line don't have enough detail or the parts listed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to this link it says there is 2 of these fittings in the system, 1 at the condenser and 1 at the dryer, it says the guts can be discarded but the broken part is this coupler, not the internal spring part. I will post a pic. The part # for the coupling is discontinued and I can't find any crossover #s or other ones on the internet, every search leads to a website with them discontued.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1100177

Still looking for a source for this coupler, or if anyone has removed the AC from their XJ and would like to get rid of their coupler, let me know. Or if they have a spare XJ/MJ, maybe even YJ for parts, and it has the same coupler, give me a shout, thanks...

I've look around a bit,hate to say it but it's got to be a junk yard or maybe If you have a decent ac supply shop near by.

The coupler I know I've seen on our 91 XJ, I'd bet is on wranglers too. So if someone here deleted ac I'd guess everything but very Late years could have this coupler.

I think this line from a 94 wrangler has the coupler, it's on eBay and over priced for a used ac line that might not be any good. Never understood why any wrangler part will demanded top dollar.
Anyway if you look through there pictures it looks like that coupler is there.

Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121791504570

There used to be some people parting out XJ on eBay that were pretty nice, one told me to let them know what I needed if it wasn't listed big or small. Can't remember the sellers name right now, but if somebody here doesn't have it I'd try to contact seller for jeep part sellers on eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need some "special" coupler. Go to your local home center and find a brass coupler/union that fits.

Back