• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission problem

guillermo

NAXJA Forum User
I have an automatic 2001 xj... The transmission gave out on me yesterday. Turns out a hose came loose and I lost all the fluid. Placed new hose clamp and fluid, but it still has issues. It works for a bit than it wont shift into drive or reverse. If I stop the engine and re start it, it works again but only for a short distance...is it time for a new aw4 ?

Unplug the pcm and test it with that unplugged.
its under the dash passenger side.
if still does not work replace aw4 with another junkyard one. because they are invincible. and its not even worth buying a new one.

Agree on both the above. Start with fluid and make sure you have enough, you can also have issues if you put too much fluid in so be careful. Make sure you are getting up to operating temp and checking on a flat surface. If it turns out that the tranny crapped out just pull another one from a junkyard. Rebuilds don't go over well and you're better just finding a used one.

Back