• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

big brake upgrades for cherokee?

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
are there any kits out there? Definitely need a brake upgrade... running stock disks on an '88 Cherokee with 35" tires...

I recommend doing disc's on the rear first.

I recommend doing disc's on the rear first.

the fronts are what stop the most.. and I just put in a ford 8.8 with drums, the rear brakes are fine.

Just google xj big brake kit. Lots of results. Stinkyfab has a kit, rwk haus used to have a kit, 4 wheel parts sells kits, plus tons others.

yeah.. google should be more of a friend to me :)

I guess what I should have asked --- any *recommended* kits?

before diving into upgrading the brakes...

have you upgraded to a dual diaphragm booster?

I have not ---
I need to change rotors and pads on the front andyway, figured I may as well just go for bigger brakes. I did something similar on my '98 ZJ, and the difference was amazing.

sent ya an IM with some links

I did the booster upgrade on my 88, made a difference, but not a huge one

Great man-- thanks!

Should have pointed out those links are for piece it together yourself upgrades....not complete kits like black magic

yeah, figured that out.
Most of the kits though seem to require 16" wheels.. which I don't have.
Any good kits for 15" wheels?
I'm also going to do the dual diaphragm upgrade while I'm at it.

one of those links was for 15" rims upgrades

Yeah, I saw that, I was thinking more along the lines of a kit for 15" rims.
Just had wheels/tires/suspension upgraded, @#$#@ should have went with 16" rims...

yeah.. I checked out black magic/vanco... but their 15" kit is only for 90+ Cherokees. not sure what's involved in modifying it for an pre-90.

A guy at work told me if you use the 88 caliper mounts, you can put SRT grand cherokee calipers on it......might be worth looking into

A guy at work told me if you use the 88 caliper mounts, you can put SRT grand cherokee calipers on it......might be worth looking into

That would be interesting .. but I don't want to pay the "SRT" tax for the calipers. I have one, and everything for that truck is twice as expensive.

Back